RE: [IndiaStrategy-ThinkTank] 'Califoniazation of Needs' + Bill G ates in India

  • Amit.Kohli@aventis.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2002
      I believe Indian market is at an inflection point where either we could go
      the way of

      I don't care if you do not send me any more new products......because I
      shall get them anyhow (piracy...improvisation!!!)
      OR
      Onset a change process where our society starts rewarding the innovators.

      Historically, Indians have displayed immense imagination in building on/
      improvising conceptual frameworks, products, processes etc. etc....In Net
      total we have been great IMPROVISERS (JUGADUU)... I cannot recollect much
      innovation (from Cinema ...to Products... to Processes)..though there have
      been some Innovations e.g. the much touted Bombay dabbawallah systems...but
      not a great deal.

      But I believe the process moves in stages ...
      Awareness
      Acceptance
      Action

      Our generation is just getting aware of what lies beyond... what happens if
      you are an innovator...What repercussions does piracy have on society in
      general and its evolution. Just by sheer numbers... educated (under
      education) young India (which I guess forms at least 45% of the country)
      once totally aware..would start resulting in being a BIG BIG market. Our law
      system is painful hence Government role in bringing down piracy .. could be
      doubted.

      In my opinion this limits innovative companies like Microsoft to a few
      options -

      1. wait for regulatory environment to change/ paradigm shift !!!
      2. start creating awareness early enough - educate.... Partly happening
      3. Involve the community - Which Microsoft is already doing...

      I believe that even if Microsoft gets half of the current users of Microsoft
      products at home to shift to buy once...only once on next decade... That
      would justify any kind of strategy/ investment they are making now in
      time.....

      And Indian customer ....... the rich and affluent one which forms 5% of
      Indian population i.e. 50 million which is the size of population of smaller
      European countries.... doesn't care....

      I was in India last year and saw someone purchasing a Grover Wine (crappy
      bangalore based wine)for 400 INR.. Jesus i.e. 10EUR.. you could get a Top
      average wine for that.. and believe me tastes much better...

      Hence, Indian consumer is a species in its own self.. what matters is how
      you are selling to him... He may haggle for a 50p discount on Gobhi in
      market and might just go bang ahead and purchase a Rolex at a basic
      discount.. not really haggling...If Microsoft would do a corporate deal by
      offering major discounts and allowing the companies to pay for personal
      purchase of software packages of employees.. they would definitely manage to
      sell more than they do today !! (phokat mein hai... legal hai...so grab it)

      I believe someone from marketing in this group should shed some light on how
      Indian consumer in different profiles and pocket sizes is expected to
      evolve....and how are different kind of product companies targeting it.

      Amit

      I am supply chain manager for North Europe for Aventis Pharma based in
      London.