1484Re: [Indianmoths] Life cycle of an UnID Moth

  • Chitra Shanker
    28 Jan 7:23 am
      Hi Mr. Balakrishnan where in malappuram are you in. Recently visited University of calicut campus at malapuram. Just curious
      Chitra

      On Jan 19, 2008 6:15 PM, balakrishnan valappil <balakrishnan_valappil@...> wrote:

      Thank you both
      Mr.Ian Kitching and
      Mr Alka Vaidya
      for the kind response
      luckily I didnt touch it
      as I was aware of the danger!!!
      I am attaching another pic shot in september 2006
      the cats were found on the trunk of a guava tree near my house
      view fullscreen to see a tiny caterpillar,is it a young one?
      or somethingelse?????

      balakrishnan valappil

      Ian Kitching <i.kitching@...> wrote:

      Dear Balakrishnan,

      Your moth is a species of Lasiocampidae. I may be able to do better when I get back to work on Monday, unless someone else identifies it first. I hope you didn't touch the back spines hidden on the back of the caterpillar. These could have given you a very painful urticating rash. A really good defence.

      Best wishes,

      Ian

      Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
      Photographer( s) :