1965Re: [Indianmoths] New Member here need ID of a moth

  • Shubhalaxmi Vaylure
    Sep 30, 2008
      Dear Hitesh,

      The moth you reared is a Lappet Moth,Trabala vishnu from Lasciocampidae family. The yellow moth is a female and the green one is a male. Its strange to know that male moths 'hatching' out from female's body or you mistaken the mating moths. To demystify your mystery let us know how many caterpillars you reared and were the cocoons kept in same container, if you reared multiple caterpillars and were kept in common container then the males would had certainly found a fertile female to mate instantly after their emergence. Did you witness the emergence of male moths from the cocoon? if not did you found any empty cocoons which might had emerged in your absence. Hope answers to these questions should solve your mystery.

      Thanks for sharing

      Cheers
      Shubha

      On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:43 PM, H. G. Mum <hitmoments@...> wrote:

      Hello Humans,
      greetings and great day to you all.
      Am a new member of this group and my passion is photography, movie
      making, treking, hiking, and wildlife. Staying in Mumbai.
      I had got this caterpillar and had taken the full life cycle photos of
      this and now I want to know what this Moths name is? I am in process
      of making a short movie about this Moth.
      The Catterpillar was found on Tropical badam tree in my backyard. we
      also call it badam tree.
      Will be thankfull if I can get the name and other info about this moth.
      http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hitmoments/NewPetMystery#5118538707821227010
      Regards and peace force and joy to you all
      Hitesh Gusani

      --
      Shubha

      Tel: 91-22-28402946/28421174