4313RE: [Indianmoths] id required please

  • Ian Kitching
    Jun 11, 2013

      Hi Geetha,

                           Sorry, wrong family and off by quite a way I’m afraid. This is moth belongs to the genus Endoclyta in the family Hepialidae. The general shape, short antennae and relatively complete wing venation (which will be similar of the fore- and hindwings) are diagnostic. There are a number of species in this genus in India but I don’t know which this is.

      Cheers,

      Ian

      *************************************************************************************************************************************
      Dr Ian J. Kitching, Researcher, Department of Life Sciences, Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, U.K.

      Tel: (+44) (0)20 7942 5608 | Fax: (+44) (0)20 7942 5229 | email: I.Kitching@...

      Home page: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/staff-directory/entomology/i-kitching/index.html
      Creating a taxonomic e-science, CATE Sphingidae home page:
      http://www.cate-sphingidae.org
      Sphingidae of South-East Asia version 1.5:
      http://www.sphin-sea.unibas.ch
      Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic
      http://tpittaway.tripod.com/china/china.htm