4420Moth Classification

  • Vijay
    Nov 11, 2013
      Hi
      Just posting some interesting discussion and links for archival purpose.
      Regards,
      Vijay
      ------------------------------
      Shyamal Lakshminarayanan

      Thanks again Roger. Is there a website where there are typical and atypical examples for each of the major families/subfamilies all in one place? (1 hour ago)

      Roger Kendrick

      there really isn't such a thing as a typical representative of each family. :(
      I would suggest you take a look at Moths of Borneo part 1, which has a key to families (of "macro" moths), or simply surf through the Moths of Borneo and Moths of Japan websites. This takes time, but is worth it to gain a better insight to the thousands of species. 1 (1 hour ago)

      Roger Kendrick

      You would also benefit from reading van Nieukerken et al., 2011 and Regier et al., 2013, to see more up to date classifications of the Lepidoptera . . . .
      www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2011/f/zt03148p221.pdf 1 (1 hour ago)

      Roger Kendrick:

      www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.00585681 (1 hour ago)

      Shyamal Lakshminarayanan

      Is there a summarized Linnean lep tree from all these recent studies... I have that higher level structure update on Wikipedia on my to-do list but its going to be a very hard task (1 hour ago)

      Roger Kendrick

      not yet . . .
      time consuming rather than difficult - but one must be thorough to ensure no mistakes are made. See the section "Conclusions and prospectus on lepidopteran phylogeny" in Regier et al for further important studies at the superfamily level. On the internet, Fauan Europaea and the north American BugGuide and Moth Photographers' Group websites are pretty much up to date and can be used to assist generic placement to tribe & subfamily. Try to get hold of a copy of Moths of Borneo part 2 (Holloway, 2011), which does pretty well for Oriental genera in the same classification framework. The current setup on Wikipedia is now woefully outdated, particularly with respect to Noctuoidea, and will require a lot of input to correct..... :(
      Here are the more reliable Lepidoptera databases online . . .
      www.faunaeur.org/full_results.php?id=7
      mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/
      globiz.pyraloidea.org/
      www.tortricidae.com/
      www.gracillariidae.net/
      www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/tineidae/index.html
      www.nymphalidae.net/Classification/Higher_class.htm
      www.aganainae.nl/
      choreutidae.lifedesks.org/
      www.sesiidae.net/sesiidae.htm
      www.cate-sphingidae.org/
      tolweb.org/Lepidoptera/8231 (very much a work in progress and reliant on taxonomists input, but should be a useful model for Wikipedia classification pages of Lepidoptera).

      cheers, (46 minutes ago)

      Roger Kendrick

      I have been assisting with setting up the framework for Lepidoptera on i-Naturalist, and follow as closely as I can the above information, though I've yet to place Hesperiidae in Papilionoidea and merge Sesioidea into Cossoidea.....