719RE: [Indianmoths] OHM - life cycle

  • Ian Kitching
    Mar 10, 2007
      Dear Shubhada,
      From what you say, there is also the possibility that caterpillars feeding on flowers rather than leaves take on a different colour (green caterpillar plus pink (?) flowers = brown caterpillar). The easy way to check would be to try some rearing experiments on caterpillars from the same eggs batch or try switching foods of the two colour forms and see what happens.

      Cheers,

      Ian

      ________________________________

      From: Indianmoths@... on behalf of shubhada nikharge
      Sent: Sat 10/03/2007 12:48
      To: Indianmoths@...
      Subject: RE: [Indianmoths] OHM - life cycle

      Hi Iyan,

      The cats were found in a deciduous forest of Aarey
      Colony in Goregaon (East), Mumbai.

      It might be a mere coincidence that green cats were
      found on a tree which is not yet flowered and brown
      type of cat was found on a flowering tree. This is
      ofcourse an observation of one season only i.e. last
      year. Let me observe for this year too.

      with regards,
      shubhada

      <http://wiki.nesc.ac.uk/read/cate?SphingidaeRevision <http://wiki.nesc.ac.uk/read/cate?SphingidaeRevision> >