Life cycle of an UnID Moth

  • Vijay Barve
    Message 1 of 7 , 18 Jan 1:31 am
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [ButterflyIndia] Life cycle of an UnID Moth
      Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:22:41 -0800 (PST)
      From: balakrishnan valappil <balakrishnan_valappil@...>

      *Image Information:*Born and brought up at my house in Malappuram Kerala
      The adult cat was wandering in search of a place for pupation kept iside
      a paper box pupated after two days and hatched on the 20 th day after
      pupation in the morning,though caterpillar is commonly seen that too in
      groups on guava tree trunks
      the moth is new to me
      *Species name :UnID
      Wingspan :cat size 3 to 3.5 inches in length
      Location : in KERALA
      Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
      Photographer( s) :
      Additional Remarks :
      *

    • Ian Kitching
      Message 2 of 7 , 18 Jan 1:51 am
        Dear Balakrishnan,

        Your moth is a species of Lasiocampidae. I may be able to do better when I get back to work on Monday, unless someone else identifies it first. I hope you didn't touch the back spines hidden on the back of the caterpillar. These could have given you a very painful urticating rash. A really good defence.

        Best wishes,

        Ian

        Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
        Photographer( s) :
        Additional Remarks :
        *

      • Alka Vaidya
        Message 3 of 7 , 19 Jan 12:14 am

          Dear Ian and all,

           Possibly it is Suana sp.May be concolor.

           Alka Vaidya

          Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
          Photographer( s) :
          Additional Remarks :
          *

          5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Click here.
        • balakrishnan valappil
          Message 4 of 7 , 19 Jan 4:45 am
            Thank you both
            Mr.Ian Kitching and
            Mr Alka Vaidya
            for the kind response
            luckily I didnt touch it
            as I was aware of the danger!!!
            I am attaching another pic shot in september 2006
            the cats were found on the trunk of a guava tree near my house
            view fullscreen to see a tiny caterpillar,is it a young one?
            or somethingelse?????

            balakrishnan valappil

            Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
            Photographer( s) :
            Additional Remarks :
            *

          • Ian Kitching
            Message 5 of 7 , 20 Jan 11:45 pm
              Dear Vijay,
                                  I can confirm your moth is a female Suana concolor (Walker) (Lasiocampidae). It is possible that the small caterpillar in the later photo is the same species but it is impossible to be sure without rearing it on further.

              Best wishes,

              Ian

              Dr Ian J. Kitching
              Leader, Lepidoptera Division
              Department of Entomology
              The Natural History Museum
              Cromwell Road,
              London SW7 5BD, U.K.

              Tel: (+44) (0)20 7942 5608
              Fax: (+44) (0)20 7942 5229

              email: I.Kitching@...

              Web sites:
              Creating a taxonomic e-science:
              CATE Sphingidae home page: <http://www.cate-sphingidae.org/>
              Wiki site: <http://wiki.nesc.ac.uk/read/cate?SphingidaeRevision>
              Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic:

              Sphingidae of South-East Asia version 1.4:
              http://www.sphin-sea.unibas.ch/

              Sphingidae evolutionary biology home page:
              http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/evol-hawkmoths/

              Date : 03 dec to 25 dec 2007
              Photographer( s) :
              Additional Remarks :