Tiny moth?

  • Kiran Srivastava
    Message 1 of 5 , 27 Jan 12:58 am

      This less-than-1 cm moth at first looked insignificantly brown on my trouser leg but after enlarging/cropping it looked rather appealing with warm shades of brown and white. Its antennae are folded along its back. Photographed in Sanjay Gandhi National Park , Mumbai. I request identification please?

      Cheers,

      Kiran Srivastava

      Mumbai

      kiranjo@...

    • Roger C. KENDRICK
      Message 2 of 5 , 28 Jan 4:16 pm
        Pyralidae, Phycitinae

        a knot-horn moth

        Difficult to be more precise as there are several genera with this general pattern, though the most likely placement is the genus Assara. Assara albicostalis(not the same as your photo) is illustrated in Robinson, Tuck & Shaffer's 1994 publication "A Field Guide to the Smaller Moths of South-East Asia", and there are a whole host of similar species illustrated in Roesler (1983) Phycitinae of Sumatra. Another possible genus is Aurana, and A. actiosella (present in Australia and Hong Kong, thus likely also in India) is close in its pattern.

        cheers,  Roger.

        Roger C. KENDRICK Ph.D.
        Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation,
        Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, Hong Kong
        http://www.kfbg.org/

        C & R Wildlife (sole proprietor), Tai Po, Hong Kong
        hkmoths@...

        Hong Kong Moths - http://asia.geocities.com/hkmoths/

        discussion groups
        - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hkmoths/
        - http://www.hkwildlife.net
        - http://www.hkls-forum.org/

        This less-than-1 cm moth at first looked insignificantly brown on my trouser leg but after enlarging/cropping it looked rather appealing with warm shades of brown and white. Its antennae are folded along its back. Photographed in Sanjay Gandhi National Park , Mumbai. I request identification please?

        Cheers,

        Kiran Srivastava

        Mumbai

        kiranjo@vsnl. net

      • Kiran Srivastava
        Message 3 of 5 , 28 Jan 10:28 pm

          Dear Roger,

          Thanks for the information. This is the second tiny moth I have seen after you identified the Eretmocera moth for me in October 2007. These moths could be generally overlooked primarily, because they are so tiny.

          You may upload this on your flicker site if you wish.

          Cheers,

          Kiran Srivastava

          Mumbai

          Kiranjo@...

          hkmoths@yahoo. co.uk

          Hong Kong Moths - http://asia. geocities. com/hkmoths/

          discussion groups
          - http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Hkmoths/
          - http://www.hkwildli fe.net
          - http://www.hkls- forum.org/

          This less-than-1 cm moth at first looked insignificantly brown on my trouser leg but after enlarging/cropping it looked rather appealing with warm shades of brown and white. Its antennae are folded along its back. Photographed in Sanjay Gandhi National Park , Mumbai. I request identification please?

           Cheers,

          Kiran Srivastava

          Mumbai

          kiranjo@vsnl. net

        • Anirban basumajumder
          Message 4 of 5 , 31 Jan 9:59 pm

            hi all,
            the pictures are of geometrid moths. can anyone id the moths?
            plz help.

                Anirban Basu Majumder
               Tea Research Association
                 Nagrakata- 735225
                     West Bengal

            5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Click here.
          • nisha gupta
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
              bitson bitularia or macaria

              Anirban basumajumder <anirbanbm@...> wrote:

              hi all,
              the pictures are of geometrid moths. can anyone id the moths?
              plz help.

                  Anirban Basu Majumder
                 Tea Research Association
                   Nagrakata- 735225
                       West Bengal

              5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Click here.

              Save all your chat conversations. Find them online.