New Member here need ID of a moth

  • H.G.Mum
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hello Humans,
      greetings and great day to you all.
      Am a new member of this group and my passion is photography, movie
      making, treking, hiking, and wildlife. Staying in Mumbai.
      I had got this caterpillar and had taken the full life cycle photos of
      this and now I want to know what this Moths name is? I am in process
      of making a short movie about this Moth.
      The Catterpillar was found on Tropical badam tree in my backyard. we
      also call it badam tree.
      Will be thankfull if I can get the name and other info about this moth.
      http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hitmoments/NewPetMystery#5118538707821227010
      Regards and peace force and joy to you all
      Hitesh Gusani
    • Shubhalaxmi Vaylure
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
        Dear Hitesh,

        The moth you reared is a Lappet Moth,Trabala vishnu from Lasciocampidae family. The yellow moth is a female and the green one is a male. Its strange to know that male moths 'hatching' out from female's body or you mistaken the mating moths. To demystify your mystery let us know how many caterpillars you reared and were the cocoons kept in same container, if you reared multiple caterpillars and were kept in common container then the males would had certainly found a fertile female to mate instantly after their emergence. Did you witness the emergence of male moths from the cocoon? if not did you found any empty cocoons which might had emerged in your absence. Hope answers to these questions should solve your mystery.

        Thanks for sharing

        Cheers
        Shubha

        --
        Shubha
        ****************

        Tel: 91-22-28402946/28421174

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mothlady/

      • H.G.Mum
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          Dear Shubha,
          Thanks for your reply and info about the moth. And thanks also to
          solve my mystery.
          I had only 1 caterpillar reared last year and maybe the male came
          flying from the open window I guess.
          I like to ask another question here. Last year I had this catterpillar
          at home and it came out as moth in exactly 12 days, but this year I
          have 2 cacoon but even after 25 days they still have not emerged. Is
          it Temperature change that prevents them from emerging? Cause last
          year I did not have air conditioner at my place. Can the AC be a
          reason they have not emerged this year?
          Thanks once again for solving the mystery and giving me more info
          about the moth, it will be very useful for my Video on the moth.
          Regards and peace force and joy
          HItesh Gusani