Sataspes for id

  • Shyamal L
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2013
      Have posted this elsewhere on FB and iNaturalist too. This Sataspes was found in Bandipur close to the Kerala border (24 April 2013) in dense riverine forest. It looks like S. xylocoparis to me but I have heard other suggestions.

      best wishes
      Shyamal

    • Kiran Srivastava
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2013
        Intersting to see this! They could also perhaps, mimic the Indian Giant Hornet, Vespa sps.

        Cheers,

        Kiran Srivastava
        Mumbai

        On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Shyamal L <lshyamal@...> wrote:

        Have posted this elsewhere on FB and iNaturalist too. This Sataspes was found in Bandipur close to the Kerala border (24 April 2013) in dense riverine forest. It looks like S. xylocoparis to me but I have heard other suggestions.

        best wishes
        Shyamal

      • Geetha Iyer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2013
          Hey Shyamal

          What about this comment posted on the wiki site for the photo posted by you?

          "Sataspes sp., most likely a form of infernalis - determined by Ian Kitching, NHM, London. Will need to be determined from a specimen and can possibly represent a new form or species. Bandipur, India.
          "

          cheers
          geetha

          --