Re: [Indianmoths] Digest Number 1431

  • Shyamal L
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2013

      Hi Geetha,

      Sorry for the delay, I do not see most mails on this group since the Facebook group seems more interactive. Here is what I posted there from Dr Kitching's response.

      "..., all the evidence now points towards it being the first representative of infernalis from SW India. All other specimens I have seen from the Western Ghats are the relatively non-metallic forms as shown on SEP. None have the strong blue sheen on the wings of your specimen. As I noted before to Shaymal, the moth does look a bit more like S. tagalica but this usually has a greenish metallic sheen and the females (which your moth is) never have a yellow thorax, only the males. That said, there is a definitive feature that could settle the matter BUT it is on the underside of the abdomen. This is a long shot but do you have a photo in which the colour of the underside of the terminal segments of the abdomen is visible, even slightly. These are yellow in infernalis/xylocoparis and black in tagalica.

      All that said, no Sataspes in our collection of any species has the subdorsal rows of yellow spots; they either have more extensive yellow bands (see xylocoparis on SEP) or broad central patches (see tagalica on SEP). So I am minded to think that this may be a new species, or at least a distinctive subspecies of infernalis."

      best wishes
      Shyamal

      http://muscicapa.blogspot.com
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Shyamal
      https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles/Shyamal

      2.1.

      Re: Sataspes for id

      Posted by: "Geetha Iyer" scopsowl@...   brownfishowl

      Tue May 7, 2013 9:45 am

      Hey Shyamal

      What about this comment posted on the wiki site for the photo posted by you?

      "Sataspes sp., most likely a form of infernalis - determined by Ian
      Kitching, NHM, London. Will need to be determined from a specimen and can
      possibly represent a new form or species. Bandipur, India."

      cheers
      geetha

      --
      Geetha Iyer