Erebus moth for id?

  • Kiran Srivastava
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2013
      Request identification of this cryptic Erebus moth I saw on a road in Nagaland? Although its eye spots are prominent it can just as easily disappear in its surroundings.

      Cheers,
      Kiran Srivastava
      Mumbai

    • Sanjay Sondhi
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2013
        Kiran,

        This is Spirama retorta or Spirama helicina, an Owlet moth. Separating these two species in the field if difficult and possibly requires male genitalia for separation.

        Rgds

        Sanjay Sondhi

        Titli Trust

        New book "Butterflies of the Garo Hills"

        Kalpavriksh

        01352607452

        On 16-Nov-13, at 4:05 PM, Kiran Srivastava wrote:

        Request identification of this cryptic Erebus moth I saw on a road in Nagaland? Although its eye spots are prominent it can just as easily disappear in its surroundings.

        Cheers,
        Kiran Srivastava
        Mumbai

        Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a new topic
        Messages in this topic (1)
        Recent Activity:
        • New Members 2
        Visit Your Group