Hi

  • ninad raut
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
      Hi friends,
      I'm Ninad B. Raut M.Sc (Botany) from Sathaye College, Vile Parle, Mumbai.
      I'm studying butterflies as well and have developed butterfly garden in my college campus with the SPROUTS, Mumbai.

      During the study I came across 1cp of Hawk Moth, on Gardenia resinifera in Maharashtra Nature Park, Dharavi. When adult came out of cocoon it had WS=40 to 50mm with the transperant wings, green body with brown-red , black and white bands from abdomen to end. I think that's Day Flying Bee Hawk Moth, but I'm not very sure. So can any body guide me about this?
      Thanks in advance
      rgds
      Ninad

    • Shubhalaxmi Vaylure
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 15, 2006
        Dear Ninad,

        Welcome to the group. Your moth undoubtly is a Bee Hawkmoth (Cephanodes hylas). It feeds on a variety of Rubiaceae plants. I have recorded Gardenia grandiflora as its food plants within the city, your plant species seems to be a new record. If possible do send a photograph of the plant to me.

        Cheers,
        Shubha
        ****************
        Dr. V.Shubhalaxmi
        Senior Education Officer
        Bombay Natural History Society
        Conservation Education Centre
        Near Filmcity, Goregaon (East),
        Mumbai- 400065.
        Maharashtra, India.

        Tel: 91-22-28402946/28421174
        Email: vshubhalaxmi@...
      • Ian Kitching
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 18, 2006
          Dear Ninad,
                           Further to Shubha's reply, your moth could in fact be one of two Bee Hawks. The most likely species is indeed Cephonodes hylas hylas (http://www.biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de/gradkoll/arthropoden/SphingidaeSEA/species%20pages/Cep_hylas.htm) but the possibility remains that it may have been a Cephonodes picus (http://www.biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de/gradkoll/arthropoden/SphingidaeSEA/species%20pages/Cep_picus.htm - sorry but the picture link seems to be down, I'll get onto it, but the map is up).  Picus is very similar to hylas but is more orange underneath the thorax (it looks lightly toasted), rather than the pure white of hylas, and the foretibia ends in a conspicuous thorn. Sorry, but from your description, the two cannot be separated. If you have a photo, then I should be able to determine which one it is from general appearance, but if not, then it can only be recorded as Cephonodes sp.

          Best wishes,

          Ian

          Dr Ian J. Kitching
          Leader, Lepidoptera Division
          Department of Entomology
          The Natural History Museum
          Cromwell Road,
          London SW7 5BD, U.K.

          Tel: (+44) (0)20 7942 5608
          Fax: (+44) (0)20 7942 5229

          email: I.Kitching@...

          Web sites:
          Creating a taxonomic e-science:
          Home page: <http://www.cate-project.org/>
          Wiki site: <http://wiki.nesc.ac.uk/read/cate?SphingidaeRevision>
          Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic:
          Sphingidae of South-East Asia:
          <http://www.sphingidae-sea.biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de/>
          Sphingidae evolutionary biology home page:
          http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/evol-hawkmoths/

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 20, 2006
            Dear Ian and Shubha,
            Sorry for late reply. I've pics of cp of same on host plant and of adult but not so good. I'll upload dat but 'll take some time. I'll try to do it as early as possible.
            Thanks,

            rgds,
            Ninad

          • mag marian
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 21, 2006
              Hi all

              Some moths for ID, any help is highly appretiated

              Thanks

              Regards

              Sindhu

            • Shubhalaxmi Vaylure
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 26, 2006
                Dear Sindhu,

                Your moths could be
                1. Krananda sp. from Family Geometridae
                2 & 3  could be Lymantrid or Lasciocampid moths

                Cheers
                Shubha

                On 9/21/06, mag marian <mariantrench@...> wrote:
                Hi all

                Some moths for ID, any help is highly appretiated

                Thanks

                Regards

                Sindhu

                How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

                --
                Shubha
                ****************
                Dr. V.Shubhalaxmi
                Senior Education Officer
                Bombay Natural History Society
                Conservation Education Centre
                Near Filmcity, Goregaon (East),
                Mumbai- 400065.
                Maharashtra, India.

                Tel: 91-22-28402946/28421174
                Email: vshubhalaxmi@...
              • Naseer Ommer
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Hi All

                  Name : Naseer Ommer

                  City :  Trichur, Kerala, India. currently working as Researcher@Dubai for a wildlife research center

                  Interest / Expertise :  Wildlife biologist, spl.interest in herpets, smaller & larger mammals

                  What you want to get from this Group :  Sharing info on moths of southern india, an infant in this field

                  How did you come to know about this group :  yahoo search

                  'm attaching few images taken recently from PTR, Thekkady, Idukki district of kerala for identfication. as said 'm an infant in this group and ur active help and motivation expected for a good start. I used to visit India atleast 3-4 times in a yearand travel a lot. whatever comes along the path, tried to capture thru the lens.

                  Have a nice day

                  kind regards

                  Naseer Ommer

                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                • Naseer Ommer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2007
                    Dear All

                    I've send a msg with images of 2 moths for identification sometime back since there's no response to that mail I suppose that the images uploaded may be of low quality for proper identification.

                    'm attaching 2 more moths for identification. the moth_3 is taken from Vagamon, a high altitude dest. in idukki dist. of kerala and moth_4 is from alleppey dist. kerala. Your valuable help in identifying the species is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

                    regards

                    Naseer

                    Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                  • Roger C. KENDRICK
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Hi Naseer,

                      moth 3 = Nyctemera sp. (Arctidae, Arctiinae, Nyctemerini)
                      moth 4 = Mocis frugalis (Noctuidae / Erebidae, Catocalinae)

                      cheers,

                      Roger.

                      Naseer Ommer <naseerommer@...> wrote:
                      Dear All

                      I've send a msg with images of 2 moths for identification sometime back since there's no response to that mail I suppose that the images uploaded may be of low quality for proper identification.

                      'm attaching 2 more moths for identification. the moth_3 is taken from Vagamon, a high altitude dest. in idukki dist. of kerala and moth_4 is from alleppey dist. kerala. Your valuable help in identifying the species is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

                      regards

                      Naseer

                      Roger C. KENDRICK Ph.D.
                      Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation,
                      Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, Hong Kong
                      http://www.kfbg.org/

                      C & R Wildlife (sole proprietor), Tai Po, Hong Kong
                      hkmoths@...

                      Hong Kong Moths - http://asia.geocities.com/hkmoths/

                      discussion groups
                      - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hkmoths/
                      - http://www.hkwildlife.net
                      - http://www.hkls-forum.org/

                    • Naseer Ommer
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2007
                        Hi Roger

                        thanks for the quick response and id's.

                        've more specimens to be identified and thought of sending them one by one. here are two more from Peermade area of Idukki dist.,kerala for proper identification.

                        thans to everyone for their patience and experts for their whole-hearted support in identifying the species.

                        rgds

                        Naseer

                        hkmoths@yahoo. co.uk

                        Hong Kong Moths - http://asia. geocities. com/hkmoths/

                        discussion groups
                        - http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Hkmoths/
                        - http://www.hkwildli fe.net
                        - http://www.hkls- forum.org/

                        Be a PS3 game guru.

                      • Naseer Ommer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                          Greetings to All

                          Another moth image attached for identification, also from the high altitudes of Ponmudi, Kerala, southern India.

                          regards

                          NO

                        • Anirban basumajumder
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                            I think this the moth of red slug caterpillar.

                          • Roger C. KENDRICK
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                              Hi Naseer,

                              This is Eterusia aedea

                              Zygaenidae, Chalcosiinae

                              cheers,

                              Roger.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 29, 2007
                                hi all,
                                plz id the moths.
                                thanks.
                                anirban

                                Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it.
                              • SUBRAMANYAM KALLURI
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 22, 2009
                                These were taken during Butterfly India meet, Chakrata, Sept - Oct 2008.
                                Help for ID pl.

                                Subramanyam Kalluri

                                Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop
                              • neha mujumdar
                                Message 16 of 25 , Jul 24, 2011
                                Hello

                                Please help with the identification of this moth.
                                Second image is of its caterpillar which i collected in Pune on 30th June 2011
                                and reared on Pongamia pinnata leaves.
                                Adult emerged yesterday night i.e. on 23rd July.

                                Thanks

                                Neha Mujumdar
                              • Roger C. KENDRICK
                                Message 17 of 25 , Jul 25, 2011
                                  Allata sp. (female)
                                  Notodontindae

                                  cheers,
                                  Roger.

                                  Roger C. KENDRICK Ph.D.
                                  Director

                                  Please help with the identification of this moth.
                                  Second image is of its caterpillar which i collected in Pune on 30th June 2011
                                  and reared on Pongamia pinnata leaves.
                                  Adult emerged yesterday night i.e. on 23rd July.

                                  Thanks

                                  Neha Mujumdar
                                • Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                  Message 18 of 25 , Oct 14, 2011
                                  What are these moths of attached photographs, coming to our house in large numbers for past few evenings?
                                  Are they Hyblaea puera? The come in large number during might where there is light, lay eggs & with in 2 days larva comes out.
                                  Location: Mumbai
                                  Regards
                                  -Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                • Roger C. KENDRICK
                                  Message 19 of 25 , Oct 17, 2011
                                    Yes, this is H. puera.

                                    cheers,
                                    Roger.

                                    Roger C. KENDRICK Ph.D.
                                    Director
                                    C & R Wildlife, Tai Po, Hong Kong
                                    hkmoths@...

                                    Hong Kong Moths
                                     - http://www.hkmoths.com
                                     - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hkmoths/sets/72157601206661913/ (personal Flickr site)
                                     - http://www.flickr.com/groups/hongkongmoths/ (Flickr Group)

                                    Message 20 of 25 , Oct 17, 2011
                                      Dear Mr. Roger,
                                      Thank you very much for the identification.
                                      Regards
                                      -Chittaranjan Sengupta

                                      Message 21 of 25 , Oct 25, 2014
                                        This tiny moth (15mm) was sitting like a butterfly with its wings folded above its head. When it shifted position, it opened its wings. Larentiinae?

                                        Unidentified
                                        Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
                                        1750m

                                        Thanks.
                                        Ashwini

                                      • Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                        Message 22 of 25 , Jul 30, 2016
                                          Dear All,
                                          Can somebody identify this species to be a moth or butterfly? The photograph is taken by my friend in Leh region.
                                          Regards
                                          -Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                        • Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                          Message 23 of 25 , Sep 14, 2016
                                            The attached photo seems to be of a Tussock Moth. Can some body identify the specimen?
                                            Place of photograph taken: Mumbai
                                            Date: 13th September, 2016

                                            Best regards
                                            -Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                          • vjaybarve
                                            Message 24 of 25 , Sep 16, 2016
                                              Hi

                                              Looks like a Nygmiine Moth (Tribe Nygmiini) which are difficult to id. Let us hope We get someone to id this one.

                                              Regards,

                                              Vijay
                                            • Chittaranjan Sengupta
                                              Message 25 of 25 , Sep 18, 2016