moth caterpillar stages (partial)

  • Save Tiger First
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2016
      Hello,

      Had documented the growth of a moth cat (at least 4 times), but lost a few.

      However, here are two -

      1. Taken on 11.09.2016 - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154599298983627&set=pcb.971921182953557&type=3&theater

      2. Taken on 19.09.2016 - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154599299578627&set=pcb.971921182953557&type=3&theater

      Are these the instars? How does one observe the molts?

      It had almost finished all the leaves of the small tulasi plant, so relocated it to the terrace were there were more tulasi plants, saw it only one day after that, and later could not find it, was that a mistake?

      Best regards
      Padma
      +919880388868
    • Save Tiger First
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2016
        O, the FB links do not seem to work, may be cause of some FB settings.

        Here are the pics as attachments, but had to reduce due to the limitation on file size.

        Are these the instars of the moth cat, and how can one observe the molts?

        On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Save Tiger First <stf.savetigerfirst@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        Had documented the growth of a moth cat (at least 4 times), but lost a few.

        However, here are two -

        1. Taken on 11.09.2016 - https://www.facebook.com/ photo.php?fbid= 10154599298983627&set=pcb. 971921182953557&type=3&theater

        2. Taken on 19.09.2016 - https://www.facebook.com/ photo.php?fbid= 10154599299578627&set=pcb. 971921182953557&type=3&theater

        Are these the instars? How does one observe the molts?

        It had almost finished all the leaves of the small tulasi plant, so relocated it to the terrace were there were more tulasi plants, saw it only one day after that, and later could not find it, was that a mistake?

        Best regards
        Padma
        +919880388868

      • SHYAM GHATE
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 19, 2016
          After you shifted it to terrace, two things could have happened:
          1) the cat was picked up by a predator (like bird)
          2) it might have gone into the soil to pupate.

          Btw, instead of taking the cat to the leaves, you can also have the option of bringing the leaves to the cat.

          cheers

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2016
            Thank you so much, Shyam Ghate ji...

            ya, food to the birdie, may be, but i guess that's in nature's cycle, so if that happened, it would be fine

            Wow going into the soil to pupate, sounds interesting...

            Sure, will keep that in mind, bringing leaves to it

            Also, these stages are instars right, and any insights on how i could observe the molts?

            Thanks in advance
            Padma
            +919880388868

            On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:55 PM, SHYAM GHATE shyamghate@... [Indianmoths] <Indianmoths@...> wrote:

[...]

          • vjaybarve
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 19, 2016
              Hello

              As a child I frequently raised caterpillars in paper boxes or jars. One gets to learn a lot from these rearing and observations.

              Before molting many caterpillars become very sluggish for a day and they kind of walk out of the old skin and start feeding with rigor.

              We not not have well documented life histories of most moth species, so we need that information to be shared with all.

              Regards,

              Vijay

            • Save Tiger First

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 20, 2016
                  Thanks Vijay and I need to do some thing for it!!
                  Lets see but how about sharing it on G+ .
                  As you know I cant access my Yahoo mail, cant post it on Flicker too!!
                  Also it take lot of time,in a way, to post it on the Portal
                  Any suggestions pl??

                  Best Regrds,
                  Rekha Shahane