Great lent/Fasting

  • rinsamkenya
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2010
      "LOOSE EVERY BOND OF WRONG DOING,UNTIE THE KNOTS OF VIOLENT DOINGS,CANCEL THE DEBTS OF THE OPRESSED ,TEAR APART EVERY UNJUST CONTRACT,BEAK YOUR BREAD FOR THE HUNGRY,CLOTHE THE NAKED,.....
      THEN YOUR LIGHT SHALL BEAKFORTH ASMORNING,YOUR HEALING SHALL SPRINGFORTH QUICKILY......AND GLORY OF GOD SHALL COVER YOU!"(Isiah 58:6-8)Isiah chapter 58(3-11) remind us how to fast or how our fasts become acceptable to God.

      The old testament fasting were relegious in charactor and undertaken to express (A)grief(1samuel,31-13) (B) to express one's seriousness when appealing to God(ezra 8:23)(C)honour the seriousness of Day of atonement(Levictus 16:29-31) (D)Complete/total REPENTANCE(Johna3"5-10)
      Isiah's point is that fasting is an expression of piety is of far less cocern to God than a righteous life Style.Spirituality is shown by the quality of our relationship(closeness) with God and our commitment to social justice(loving neighbours)and helping the poor and opressed.

      Abstaining from food is fasting. however we have to come close to our creator with total/complete repentance as well as caring the needy and helping the poor and oppressed,loving each other, and avoiding unjustice.

      Let us fast accordingly and show our contrite heart before the Almighty God.

      with prayers
      Thomas Samuel
      Kenya