Oldest Man in India – Vedas and Vegetarian Diet the Secret to Long Life

  • ananth bhatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009

      Dear All,

      Mr Sudhakar Chaturvedi is truly one of the greatest souls who has achieved a lot in his life.

      As he has rightly said, his passion is the Vedas. And he has truly gifted a precious gem to all of us in the form of the translation of the Vedas from Sanskrit to Kannada, which is his magnum opus contribution as an editor and the main force behind the Arya Samaj chapter of Bangalore (near VV Bakery at Visveswarapuram, after Sajjan Rao Circle).

      So far, the Sama Veda, both the black (Krishna) Yajur Veda and the white Yajur Veda, along with the Atharva Veda have been released.

      Rig Veda - 6 volumes have been released. Another 7 vol have been planned I think.

      The most recent volume was released last year by Dharmadhikari Veerendra Heggade of Dharmasthala Manjunatheswara temple, in a function at Bangalore.

      This entire set is valued at Rs. 5000/- which is really very small value for so much knowledge.

      The entire Kannada veda series brought out by Arya Samaj is I think the first time any body or institution has attempted at bringing out the Vedas in Kannada for the lay man.

      Truly a great effort and people would remember for many years to come.

      I make a sincere effort to all the people marked on this mail here that they should attempt to go through the Vedas atleast once in their life time (in whichever language they feel comfortable).

      English translations are also available -

      Each word in the Veda is of course in praise of Lord Vishnu.

      Since I am not a Sanskrit Pandit, I wanted to read the Vedas in English..

      Now there are various extant editions published by various publishers at different point in time.

      A few of them are as follows -

      1) Hymns of the Vedas - all 4 seperately (rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharva) by Ralph T Griffith - Cosmo Publishers as well as Munshiram Manoharlal (Delhi) - available at Vedanta Book house, Appu Rao road (6th main) Chamrajpet (near Uma talkies) as well as Jayalakshmi Indological book house, Apparswamy Koil street, Mylapore, Chennai.

      2) Hymns of the Vedas - T Wilson with further edition by Devi Chand by PP publishers as well as Nag Publishers, both Delhi. Available at Giri Trading, near the main entrance of Mylapore Kapaleeswarar Koil, Chennai.

      3) The Vedas - 13 vol of Rig Veda, 4 vol of Yajur Veda, 2 vol of Sama veda and 5 vol of Atharva Veda - published by Veda Prathisthan (New Delhi - 1977 to 1998) distributed by S Chand & Co (which is quite voluminous compared to the first two series mentioned above and is said to be based on Swami Dayanand Saraswati's translation (the same Swamiji who started Arya Samaj in the early 19th century) and now out of print. A few copies available in Vedanta book house Bangalore and S Chand & Co branch offices in Bangalore and Chennai.

      4) The Vedas - as interpreted according to Aurobindo's edition brought out by Sakshi publishers in Jayanagar, under the scholarship of Dr. R L Kashyap. Which has again thick vol on each of them, seperated for the black and white Yajur Veda. This series became quite popular in recent times as it was released around 4 years ago. Available in many indological book stores as well as other book stores.

      Note - As per some information available, the traditional scholars have prefered the Original Sanskrit to Hindi translation or Sanskrit to English translation done by "Wilson"  which is listed no 2 in the above mentioned series.

      Hope that all of you are enlightened on reading the Vedas.

      regards,

      Ananth