Discontinue usage of word "Mutt"

  • Raghu Rao
    Message 1 of 11 , 12 Oct

      Hare Sreenivasa,

      Please let's use "Matha" instead of Mutt whenever we refer to our Madhva places of worship.  Mutt is a very demeaning word and its meanings are as below according to the dictionary.  Kindly refrain going forwards.   Regards, Rao

      mutt
      mʌt/
      noun
      informal
      noun: mutt; plural noun: mutts
      1. 1.
        a dog, especially a mongrel.
        "a long-haired mutt of doubtful pedigree"
        synonyms:mongrel, hound, dog, cur, tyke; More
        informalpooch;
        informalmong, bitzer
        "a long-haired mutt of doubtful pedigree"
      2. 2.
        a stupid or incompetent person.
        "he pitied the poor mutt who ever fell for her charms"
      Origin
      इनलाइन छवि
    • Krishnamurti Rao
      Message 2 of 11 , 12 Oct
        Respected Haribhakthas,

        I fully concur with the views expressed by Shri Raghu Rao. I  always use the spelling Matha rather than Mutt which gives dirty meaning. Let there be awareness and campaign in this good work.

        Haraye Gurave Namaha

        Krishnamurti Rao

        Message 3 of 11 , 12 Oct
          Yes. Let us follow :

          On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 5:27, Raghu Rao rrao115@... [SUMADHWASEVA]

[...]

        • Ragavendran nagaraj rao
          Message 4 of 11 , 12 Oct
            Yes. I agree with your view point. Let us inform all other Madhwa brothers/sisters about this usage of Matha instead of Mutt.

            Regards.
            N. Ragavendran
            8190021196

[...]

          • DNR Rao
            Message 5 of 11 , 13 Oct
              Namasthe,

              I feel the word "matha" suggested instead of mutt, is also incorrect. In my opinion it should be only "MATAH".
              Hare Shriniasa
              Sajjana sevaka
              Raaja
            • Raghu Rao
              Message 6 of 11 , 14 Oct
                Thanks for all your concurrences.  This usage unfortunately is not limited to emails and groups, but lot of our spiritual websites as well - either in the URL itself or inside content.  We need to spread the awareness to the web admins of each of these pages.
                Regards
                Rao

                द्वारा: "DNR Rao dnrrao@... [SUMADHWASEVA]" <SUMADHWASEVA@...>
                प्रति: SUMADHWASEVA@...
                भेजा गया: रविवार, 15 अक्टूबर, 2017 2:11 AM
                विषय: [SUMADHWASEVA] Re: Discontinue usage of word "Mutt"

                Namasthe,

                I feel the word "matha" suggested instead of mutt, is also incorrect. In my opinion it should be only "MATAH".
                Hare Shriniasa
                Sajjana sevaka
                Raaja

              • vs rajan
                Message 7 of 11 , 14 Oct
                  Sri Sri Raghavendra Matha. Manthralaya Allready follows this in their website providing for advance bookings for Sevas bookings for rooms etc.

                  Soundararajan

[...]

                • Jagannath Adavi
                  Message 8 of 11 , 14 Oct
                    Dear All,

                    I feel that

                    1. MATAH could be understood as ಮಟ:

                    2.MATHA could be understood as ಮತ.

                    I feel that those who are very particular about pronunciation should insert ಮಠ, in context, in kannada script.  This is  not difficult; simply save ಮಠ  in a convenient place in your computer/mobile, and copy/paste the word appropriately.  In conclusion, I wonder how many people reading SUMADHWASEVA are conversant with the English dictionary meaning of MUTT.  In any case, MUTT in English refers to an animal or a person; why stretch the meaning to connote an institution?

                    Hare Srinivasa,

                    J. V. Adavi

                    On 13 October 2017 at 14:23, DNR Rao dnrrao@... [SUMADHWASEVA] <SUMADHWASEVA@...> wrote:

                    Namasthe,

                    I feel the word "matha" suggested instead of mutt, is also incorrect. In my opinion it should be only "MATAH".
                    Hare Shriniasa
                    Sajjana sevaka
                    Raaja

                  • Ram Mohan
                    Message 9 of 11 , 15 Oct
                      Dear All,
                      IIT Kanpur has develped a website on our treasures of Vedas, Shahstras etc. Finally someone from today's science & technology field, is digging into what has already been done many many years ago.
                      No issue of language as IITK smartly put each Sholka in various languages. Most amazingly, commentary on each sholka by various scholars has also been provided. When you click on Hindi translation and select the language as Tamil, it automatically translate everything into Tamil. Good use of technology.

                      Regards,
                      Rammohan

                      On 16-Oct-2017 5:03 AM, "vs rajan vsrajan60@... [SUMADHWASEVA]" <SUMADHWASEVA@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Jagannathan R
                      Message 10 of 11 , 15 Oct
                        As per my opinion we need not give much weightage to nouns.

                        For example in marriage invitations(traditional) we are using Sow.  For bride and Chi for groom ie sowbhagyavathi and chiranjeevee respectively.

                        Actually sow is used for female swine in English

                        Especially in in 1900s it was used only for female pigs.

                        Then some people changed instead of sow to sou but still  many are using Sow.

                        Sunny is a religion subsect name
                        But it is an unparliamentary word in An Indian language.

                        In the affidavit it self it is used mutt
                        Please see the following

                        RAGHAVENDRA SWAMI MUTT V. BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, HINDU RELIGIOUS ENDOWMENTS

                        In 1956 itself

                        So kannada word and writing in English need not be taken it as serious in my view

                        Learned can follow as per their wisdom

                        With the little(or no) knowledge I submit the above
                        Namaskara

                        On 13 October 2017 at 14:23, DNR Rao dnrrao@... [SUMADHWASEVA] <SUMADHWASEVA@.... in> wrote:

                        Namasthe,

                        I feel the word "matha" suggested instead of mutt, is also incorrect. In my opinion it should be only "MATAH".
                        Hare Shriniasa
                        Sajjana sevaka
                        Raaja

                      • Sanjoooooooooooo
                        Message 11 of 11 , 15 Oct
                          Namaskara -

                          MUTT clearly indicates a holy place where Brahmins get together for performance of a common objective. If MUTT has different meanings in other languages, it is not the problem of Sanskrit. Since it makes sense to write mutt has MUTT, it should be.  We cannot keep changing our words, or their spelling because, it means something else in other languages. MATHA basically means ಮಠಾ , which is wrong as it should be ಮಠ (Muth or MUTT. both are valid).

                          Kiss in Swedish language means to pee, Barf means ice in Hindi, but means Vomit or vomited food in English. No one in Hindi has discontinued this word because it is weird in English.

                          Letz not bother what MUTT or MUTH means in other languages. It means to us a great place! This is my sincere opinion. ​

                          ರಕ್ಷಮಾಂ ಕೃಪಯಾ ಕೃಷ್ಣ

                          ಮಳಖೇಡ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರ ನಿವಾಸ ಶ್ರೀ ಜಯತೀರ್ಥ ಗುರುಂ ಭಜೆ !!!

                          ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮೀಕಾಂತ ಗುರುಂ ವಂದೇ ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮನಾರ್ಯಮಹಂ ಸದಾ l

                          ರಕ್ಷಿತಾನ್ ಸ್ವೇನ ಕುರ್ವಾಣಂ ಲಕ್ಷೇಶಾನ್ ಭಿಕ್ಷುಕಾನಪಿ ll

                          ಭಜಿಸಿ ಬದುಕು ನಿತ್ಯ ವಿಜಯದಾಸರ ಪಾದ

                          Sanjay!