      From: sumalsn <no_reply@...>
      To: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
      Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014, 8:33
      Subject: SHSI Re:: Slightly involved quiz...

      Dear Binand and Holmesians,

      I think Malala Yousafzai was named after Malalai of Maiwand, also known as Malala ,a national folk hero of Afghanistan who rallied local Pashtun fighters against the British troops at the 1880 Battle of Maiwand. Dr Watson fought for the British. I think that must be the connection. The hint ( Wikipedia) was particularly helpful.