4799Re: SHSI Re: Slightly involved quiz...

  • Deepak Mehta
    Oct 27, 2014
      Mr Binand Sethumadhavan,

      I have used your story (of Malala and Watson) on my FB page for sharing it with those my friends who are not members of SHSI but are ans of SH nonetheless.

      Trust it is okay with you.

      Thanks & Regards,
      Deepak K Mehta

      On Monday, 27 October 2014 8:23 AM, "Binand Sethumadhavan binand@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

      On 11 October 2014 11:11, Binand Sethumadhavan <binand@...> wrote:
      What is the connection one of the Nobel Peace Prize winners of 2014, announced yesterday, has to the Sherlock Holmes canon?

      Most people who attempted this question did manage to work it out. Congratulations, everyone!

      Ziauddin Yusafzai (Malala's father) said, “I named her Malala after being inspired from Malala of Maiwand, a brave lady who urged her countrymen to fight against intruders through her poetry,”

      This is what Wikipedia has to say about Malala of Maiwand:

      Malalai of Maiwand, also known as Malala is a national folk hero of Afghanistan who rallied local Pashtun fighters against the British troops at the 1880 Battle of Maiwand. She fought alongside Ayub Khan and was responsible for the Afghan victory at the Battle of Maiwand on 27 July 1880, during the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

      The canon connection? In A Study in Scarlet, Watson says:

      "...I served at the fatal battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery."

      That bullet wound and its consequences prompted the medical board to send him back to England, where his quest for accommodation in London that has "comfortable rooms at a reasonable price" eventually led him to pair up with Sherlock Holmes.