      From:"'Philip K Jones' pkenj@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
      Date:Tue, 13 Jan, 2015 at 22:14
      Subject:RE: SHSI Print version of proceedings....

      My friends:

      Dr. Kumar's suggestion has a great deal of merit. It also carries along
      several problems with that merit.

      The first problem is that of mailing costs. In the United States, where I
      live, numerous clubs and hobby organizations are falling victim to rising
      postal rates. For an internationally connected organization, these rates,
      across National borders, will pose even more of a problem as snail mail
      rates will continue to grow in the years to come due to increasing
      competition by electronic communications.

      The next problem is that of personal preference. For myself, I have no use
      for Kindle and other forms of electronic media storage and I prefer to rely
      on plain old hard copy reading materials. On the other hand, my wife is
      threatening to throw out my immense collection of paper books and magazines
      along with their collector. Storage space and personal preference as well
      as family pressure will all play a part in an individual's preferences for
      format types.

      The third problem is one of costs. I know that my friend, Steve Doyle, has
      concerns about publishing costs for the Baker Street Journal, and is working
      actively to reduce costs and to avoid raising subscription prices. The
      same is true for Roger Johnson at the Sherlock Holmes Journal as well as for
      many other publishers.

      The best solution I have seen to this group of problems has been produced by
      Peter Blau, who publishes the Monthly, "Scuttlebits and Bytes." His
      practice is to publish his monthly in electronic format and to distribute it
      via E-Mail to all who wish to receive it. If anyone wishes to receive hard
      copy, they must agree to pay, in advance, an appropriate fee that includes
      mailing cost to their address. This allows Peter to keep his format simple,
      without complex and expensive graphics, for most issues. It also allows him
      to lay on artistry as he wishes when it is warranted. In any case, the
      subscription cost of a set fee plus mailing costs prevents his losing
      significant money to publish a labor of love.

      Once enunciated, this procedure seems irresistible. It provides readers who
      wish hardcopy with an appropriate paper version at no additional cost to the
      publishers. It provides all interested parties with access to the contents
      at no cost and, finally, it places the lowest possible workload on the
      volunteers who do the real work involved in publication.

      I suggest that the SHSI give serious thought to making a hard-copy version
      of the semi-annual journal available, after payment in advance, to those who
      wish to receive one. The fee for a hard-copy version should vary from
      subscriber to subscriber to reflect the dual costs of physical publication
      and mailing required to send the requested copies.

      Submitted respectfully:

      Philip K. Jones

      An Ill-dressed Vagabond

      pkenj@...