5132Re: SHSI FW: Country Life quiz

    6 Jan 7:58 am

      On 6 January 2017 at 15:56, Tim Symonds tim.symonds@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

      My general impression from the Conan Doyle stories is Watson was not especially keen to be around when Holmes whiled away some hours on the Strad.

      On the contrary...

      I see that I have alluded above to his powers upon the violin. These
      were very remarkable, but as eccentric as all his other accomplishments.
      That he could play pieces, and difficult pieces, I knew well, because
      at my request he has played me some of Mendelssohn's Lieder, and other
      favourites. When left to himself, however, he would seldom produce any
      music or attempt any recognized air. Leaning back in his arm-chair of
      an evening, he would close his eyes and scrape carelessly at the fiddle
      which was thrown across his knee. Sometimes the chords were sonorous and
      melancholy. Occasionally they were fantastic and cheerful. Clearly they
      reflected the thoughts which possessed him, but whether the music aided
      those thoughts, or whether the playing was simply the result of a whim
      or fancy was more than I could determine. I might have rebelled against
      these exasperating solos had it not been that he usually terminated them
      by playing in quick succession a whole series of my favourite airs as a
      slight compensation for the trial upon my patience.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic