5204Re: SHSI Coincidence in the Second Stain

  • Noufal Ibrahim KV
    8 Aug
      I suppose that's one way of looking at it but it's really a case of multiple
      coincidences knocking the train of the events in a direction suitable
      for Holmes.

      1. Lucas' had a jealous lover. This is clearly unrelated to the events
      of the tale.

      2. This jilted lover was waiting spying on him on the very night Lady
      Hilda came in, her wrong assumption that the latter was Lucas' lover
      and the ensuing murder. This is also unrelated to the events of the
      story.

      However, because of these two, Lucas' is unable to use the letter and
      Lady Hilda is able to recover it (both unknown to Holmes) till his
      searches.

      Not "just a coincidence" would, to my mind, mean incontrovertible
      evidence.