5223Re: SHSI The best Pastiches ever

    20 Oct
      Read all ten, but other than "The Seven Percent Solution" and "The Beekeeper's Apprentice", I won't say the others rank on my top ten pastiche list. I agree with Phil, the MX Collection is something else. In recent times, I'd rank Bonnie's "Art in the Blood", Kareem Abdul Jabbar's "Mycroft Holmes" and Jamyang Norbu's "The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes" very, very highly. Derrick's new collections are really, really good, too. I especially loved "Before Baker Street".

      Cheers
      Jay

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 20-Oct-2017, at 22:47, 'Philip K Jones' pkenj@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

      My fellow Sherlockians:

      I have been collecting and writing about Sherlockian fiction (Pastiches, Parodies and Related Fiction) for more than 15 years.  As far as I know, my collection (over 8,000 items) is the largest there is.  My database lists more than 12,000 items and I have reviewed hundreds of pieces of Sherlockian fiction.  For many years I was convinced that there were only two pieces that were as good as any in the Canon: Gaiman's "Study in Emerald" and Sayers' Peter Wimsey crossover, "The Case of the Missing Kitten."  When David Marcum brought out the first of the "MX Book of Sherlock Holmes Stories…" series, I changed my mind.  In the first four volumes of that series, I found several more to add to the list of "tales as good as any in the Canon" and I look forward to more volumes to come.  Further, I found a number I would consider to be as good as or better than "the worst in the Canon.."  Opinions in this area will differ from any one Sherlockian to any other, but I hope all of you will try these anthologies and find them as pleasant to read as I did.

      Sincerely:

      Philip K. Jones

      An Illdressed Vagabond

      pkenj@...