Re: Re-poll

  • Srifx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      I agree Sumal, we need to get on with discussing canonial issues.
      However if we seek recognition as a serious Holmesian group then the
      name ought to spread and be recognizable.

      Probably because of my extensive research on the canon-thugee
      connection and the excitement of possible pastiches I'm still biased
      towards the original name of "The Baker Street Thugees". However if
      this repoll list does not include that name then my second and very
      reluctant choice is "Guardians of the Agra Treasure". The name by
      itself still does not ring any bell with the casual Holmes literatti.

      Again the condition that i am voting for GAG is that TBST is not in
      the repoll list. However if it is in the repoll list then I would
      stick to TBST and NOT consider GAG at all.

      SriFX

      --- In sherlockholmessocietyofindia@..., sumalsn
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear holmesians,
      > We seem to be stuck up in trifles.We call for a repoll at the drop
      > of a hat but however fail to speak up when the poll is actually
      on.I
      > propose that we set an ultimatum to all the members to vote for the
      > name,failing which it will be deemed that they have voted for the
      > name which is actually voted in first.The ultimatum expires on Dec
      > 31.Members are not contributing also,what we all should try and do
      is
      > to contribute at least once a week,even if they have nothing to
      > say.Except for a few , rest of us do not contribute at all.So that
      is
      > all for now ,I hope to see some kind of a revival of sorts at the
      site
      > sumal
    • Doctor Watson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        I also agree that this discussion is stretching on forever. Will someone get the repoll over with quickly (that is if someone is taking the responsibility, or else i will see to it). I still stress that the phrase 'sherlock holmes' or 'baker street' should be included in the name as it will be recognisable by non homesians also. I had also suggested a name "The Khidmutgars of Baker Street". This name had a very strong indian AND canonical reference and also includes the said phrase. Khidmutgar mean servants.

        Manraviel

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Dear holmesians,
        > We seem to be stuck up in trifles.We call for a repoll at the drop
        > of a hat but however fail to speak up when the poll is actually
        on.I
        > propose that we set an ultimatum to all the members to vote for the
        > name,failing which it will be deemed that they have voted for the
        > name which is actually voted in first.The ultimatum expires on Dec
        > 31.Members are not contributing also,what we all should try and do
        is
        > to contribute at least once a week,even if they have nothing to
        > say.Except for a few , rest of us do not contribute at all.So that
        is
        > all for now ,I hope to see some kind of a revival of sorts at the
        site
        > sumal

        "I would have followed you, my Brother, my Captain, my King!!"
        -----Boromir (FotR)

        "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
        -----Sherlock Holmes (BLAN)

        Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and more.Download now.

      • anandpillai6
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
          I was out of action from office and everything the last 4 days
          due to severe cold & fever. It is much better now.

          I agree with Sumal and Sri that the discussion is going on
          forever. It should not be allowed to drag on forever and become
          a sort of jinxed issue, which will never get resolved. (Do I hear
          "Kashmir" ?). So let us pull up our socks and tighten our belts,
          take our pens and put on our thinking caps and do whatever to
          get the grey cells clicking, in the right way :-)

          My first vote was for BST. My second vote is for GAT, i.e
          "Guardians of the Agra Treasure". There is an Indian connection
          quite evident in the name. Also with due apologies to Sri, it
          does not have any negative connotations at all.

          I would suggest that some of the most senior members and most
          contributing ones along with sherlockians like Balaji go ahead
          and christen the new society. If you keep listening to new
          members and postpone the decision, it will never be taken, as
          the society will be adding new members as long as it is live.
          So put your foot down and take the decision.

          My vote is for GAT, once again.

          regards

          -ABP

          --- In sherlockholmessocietyofindia@..., Doctor Watson
          <watsonjh2002@y...> wrote:
          > I also agree that this discussion is stretching on forever. Will
          someone get the repoll over with quickly (that is if someone is
          taking the responsibility, or else i will see to it). I still stress
          that the phrase 'sherlock holmes' or 'baker street' should be
          included in the name as it will be recognisable by non homesians
          also. I had also suggested a name "The Khidmutgars of Baker Street".
          This name had a very strong indian AND canonical reference and also
          includes the said phrase. Khidmutgar mean servants.

          > Manraviel
          >
          > Srifx <no_reply@...> wrote:
          > I agree Sumal, we need to get on with discussing canonial issues.
          > However if we seek recognition as a serious Holmesian group then
          the
          > name ought to spread and be recognizable.
          >
          > Probably because of my extensive research on the canon-thugee
          > connection and the excitement of possible pastiches I'm still
          biased
          > towards the original name of "The Baker Street Thugees". However if
          > this repoll list does not include that name then my second and very
          > reluctant choice is "Guardians of the Agra Treasure". The name by
          > itself still does not ring any bell with the casual Holmes
          literatti.

          > Again the condition that i am voting for GAG is that TBST is not in
          > the repoll list. However if it is in the repoll list then I would
          > stick to TBST and NOT consider GAG at all.
          >
          > SriFX
          >

          > --- In sherlockholmessocietyofindia@..., sumalsn
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Dear holmesians,
          > > We seem to be stuck up in trifles.We call for a repoll at the
          drop
          > > of a hat but however fail to speak up when the poll is actually
          > on.I
          > > propose that we set an ultimatum to all the members to vote for
          the
          > > name,failing which it will be deemed that they have voted for the
          > > name which is actually voted in first.The ultimatum expires on
          Dec
          > > 31.Members are not contributing also,what we all should try and
          do
          > is
          > > to contribute at least once a week,even if they have nothing to
          > > say.Except for a few , rest of us do not contribute at all.So
          that
          > is
          > > all for now ,I hope to see some kind of a revival of sorts at the
          > site
          > > sumal

          Service.