Friendship Day

  • KUMAR BHATIA
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
      A STUDY IN FRIENDSHIP

      The United Nations has declared 30th July of every year as ,
      � International Friendship Day �, but in some countries and communities it
      is celebrated on the first Sunday of August ( this year it falls on the 4th
      of August )

      My humble tribute to the Mother of all Friendships ,the one between
      Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

      As the Canon relates , these two Victorian gentlemen , utterly different
      in personality and personal habits are thrown together by coincidence and
      circumstance , and become room-mates at , what is now one of the most
      famous addresses in the world 221 B, Baker Street .

      The saga of their eternal friendship , resonates, even today,
      in the hundreds of books ,articles , essays , debates and analysis ,
      And in the Canon itself , needless to say, which is not just a collection
      of stories about a detective and his biographer friend , but tales of
      Mystery , adventure , brilliant sleuthing , bravado and above all
      Friendship .

      An incident from �The Adventure of the Three Garridebs �,a murderous
      attack on Watson , is a fine example of the chemistry between the two
      friends .

      *�You are not hurt Watson �* said Sherlock Holmes
      *.� For God�s sake, Say that you are not hurt ! �
      *
      Watson is touched by the concern shown by Holmes
      In appreciation of which , he tells his readers ;
      *�It was worth a wound -- it was worth many wounds -- to know the depth of
      loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were
      dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only
      time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All
      my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of
      revelation �
      *Watson � The Three Garridebs

      The friendship between the two men prevails throughout the Canon , evident
      from the many remarkable statements
      that they made about ,or to, each other :
      Some complimentary, Some critical and Some even sharper !
      But the underlying camaraderie prevails and comes through ever so
      sincerely .

      It is indeed a difficult task to choose , but I will try .

      I quote from the Canon , which says it best :

      *�You have a grand gift for silence Watson , It makes you an invaluable
      companion .�
      *Holmes - The Man with the Twisted Lip

      *�I have not lived for years with Sherlock Holmes for nothing.�
      *
      Watson � The Hound of the Baskervilles

      *� but it is that Watson has some remarkable characteristics of his own ...
      which is his modesty"
      *Holmes -The Blanched Soldier

      *'I know my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
      outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life.'
      *Holmes -The Red-Headed League

      * � It is really good of you to come Watson , It makes a considerable
      difference to me
      having someone with me on whom I can thoroughly rely �

      *Holmes - The Boscombe Valley Mystery

      *� I have so deep a respect for the extraordinary qualities of Holmes that
      I have always
      deferred to his wishes , even when I least understood them �
      *Watson � The Adventure of the Dying Detective

      *� I am lost without my Boswell �
      *Holmes � A Scandal in Bohemia

      *� Cut out the poetry ,Watson �
      *Holmes � The Retired Colourman

      *� The fellow may be very clever , �I said to myself � but he is certainly
      very conceited�
      *Watson - A Study in Scarlet

      *� It may be that you are not yourself luminious , but you are a conductor
      of light
      Some people without possessing genius , have a remarkable power of
      stimulating it �
      *Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles

      To quote two of my favourites , their ultimate tribute to each other ;

      *� Good old Watson ! You are the one fixed point in a changing age ! �
      * Sherlock Holmes � �His Last Bow.�

      *� The best and the wisest man whom I have ever known �
      *Watson - " The Final Problem

      Members who do not find their favourite quotes mentioned here , please
      write in .

      Wishing all Sherlockians on this "Friendship Day" and do let your friend
      (s) know how much you care

      Kumar Bhatia

    • ruling_jay
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
        This is a fantastic article; I've been meaning to comment on it for a couple of days now.

        Many thanks, Mr. Bhatia!

        Sherlock and John - indeed an epic "bromance". The scene in "The Three Garridebs where Watson gets shot and Holmes panics - it is one of my favourite moments. As is the moment in "Charles Augustus Milverton", where Watson refuses to let Holmes go off alone on his burgling expedition.

        The bond between those two is something fantastic, and represents the very essence of friendship day.

        On this note, we hope to receive an article for the next issue of the e-magazine!

        Also a reminder: last date for the puzzles contest (The Five Orange Pips - ref. the e-magazine issue 1) is 31 August. We've only got two correct entries so far, and we have several more prizes to be distributed. So, send in your entries to shsieditors@... and/or shsieditors@... and you can earn the title of "Pucca Holmesian" and win some "handsome" (as defined by one of the most eminent Holmesians in the world) gifts!

        Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2013
          Dear Bhatiaji and Holmesians,
          A concise and neat post which encompasses the bond of friendship between Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. I suppose three adventures in the Canon, i.e."The Final Problem", " The Devil's Foot" and " The Dying Detective" show that the support of Dr Watson was vital in the successful resolution of the case. I quote from the Canon to show the bond between them- "The Adventure of the Empty House"-
          "Several times during the last three years I have taken up my pen to write to you, but always I feared lest your affectionate regard for me should tempt you to some indiscretion which would betray my secret. For that reason I turned away from you this evening when you upset my books, for I was in danger at the time, and any show of surprise and emotion upon your part might have drawn attention to my identity and led to the most deplorable and irreparable results".

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
            Though I feel the friendship aspect is something the canon does not
            dwell upon in depth. If I were to rank fictional BFFs, I would rank
            Holmes & Watson way below Harry & Hermione, Huck & Jim and Rebus and
            Siobhan.

            Binand

          • KUMAR BHATIA
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2015
              Dear Friends and Fellow Sherlockians,
              The 1st Sunday of August is International Friendship Day .
              And our dear Holmes and Watson the epitome of friendship .
              Let us raise a toast to them -
              "Chianti or Tokay " as the Master asks Miss Morstan
              "  I keep no other wines . "
              ( from The Sign of Four )

              KUMAR BHATIA