Report on the 2nd Annual Meet of the Sherlock Holmes Society of India

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
      Dear Holmesians,

      As you are all well aware, the 2nd Annual meet of the Sherlock Holmes Society of India was slotted for 24 Aug 2014, being the 4th Sunday of August as per tradition. It was decided in the 1st Annual Meet held at Mumbai that the 2nd Meet would be held at Delhi. SHSI had requested members to confirm their attendance by 20 Aug 2014 . We had received confirmation from 07 members. Since the number of confirmations were less,it was decided that booking a hall for the Annual Meet would be an overkill. Therefore, it was decided that the Meet could be conducted in a SHSI Member's residence.Accordingly, the venue was decided to be DB-101, Hudco Transit Flats, Andrews Ganj, New Delhi.

      The Annual Meet was to start from 1100 hrs. Dr Raj Ayyer was the first to reach the venue,followed by Ms. Prajakta Hebbar and  Shri. Satyajit Gupta. Shri Sajan Venniyoor joined us a little later. Dr Veena Ravi Kumar and Ms. Reethira Kumar reached there by 1140 hrs. Ms. Jayantika Ganguly, Secretary of SHSI, who had flown down from Kolkatta joined the party , making the list of attendees complete.She had also thoughtfully prepared brochures for the meet, in addition to the banner which was beautifully designed by her.

      The annual Meet was kicked off by a short speech( I think it was short) by me, bringing out the achievements of the Society in the past one year. We had two of our members publishing Pastiches- "Sherlock Holmes in Japan" by Shri Vasudev Murthy and the " Holmes Sutra" by Ms.Jayantika Ganguly. The members were requested to keep the spirit of the Canon alive and help the Society to grow in popularity.

       Felicitation Messages received from various Sherlockian Societies were read out. The List of Sherlockian Societies along with their messages will put out in a separate post . A research paper by Shri Kumar Bhatia, Chief Patron of SHSI titled " A study in Friendship" on the friendship between Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson was read out, which was well received by all members.

      Since it was almost 1330 hrs, the members had lunch. Subsequently, we had discussed the future activities of the Society and the location for the next Annual meet. Members suggested formation of a registered Society to further enhance the functioning of SHSI. It was a lively discussion wherein many good ideas emerged.

      It was decided that ways and means were to be found out to establish a source of funding for the SHSI. The debate as to whether a subscription Model  or voluntary donations by members would serve the Society well, remained  inconclusive. Members from Delhi had expressed a desire to have a Chapter meet of SHSI somewhere in Nov/Dec 14, when the weather would be better.

      After tea  at around 1600 hrs, members dispersed due to prior commitments.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
        Very precise and succinct, Sumalji!

[...]

      • Prof. Venugopal bhaskaran nair
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
          Thank you sumal.A good report. Hope you would publish the paper in the next issue of the journal.
            what about the next venue? any decision taken?If there were no takers, we can do it at kochi.No problem.
             Expect a few more fotos.
          venugopal

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
            Dear Prof Venugopal Nair and Holmesians,
            It was informally decided that Kolkatta will being hosting the 3rd Annual Meet of SHSI, though it is subject to change. Regarding photos, I had uploaded the better ones I had. We have requested members to forward the photos they had clicked which will be put up after I receive it.
          • Ravi
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
              Hello Sumalji,

              I was eagerly hoping that BLR would host the next meet.

              One request - can we quickly decide on the venue and date, so that members can plan really, really early and avail cheap tickets? :)

              Cheers,
              Ravi.

              On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 8:28 AM, sumalsn <no_reply@...> wrote:

              Dear Prof Venugopal Nair and Holmesians,

              It was informally decided that Kolkatta will being hosting the 3rd Annual Meet of SHSI, though it is subject to change. Regarding photos, I had uploaded the better ones I had. We have requested members to forward the photos they had clicked which will be put up after I receive it.

              The music that can deepest reach,
              And cure all ill, is cordial speech.
              -Ralph Waldo Emerson, Writer & Philosopher (1803-1882)
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
                Dear Raviji and Holmesians,
                 Point well made and taken.We will try and firm up the venue at the earliest. As you are no doubt aware, we have the Annual Meet on the 4th Sunday of August every year, which means next year, it falls on  22 Aug 2015.

                As of now, Kolkotta  is hosting the event. The location of the meet is decided only after a firm confirmation of the attendees is received. Since if the attendance is on the higher side (i.e. 20 +) , we may go in for a banquet hall etc. However, if it is less, we have to make do with some member volunteering  to hold it in his premises, keeping in view, the financial aspects.

                We can be open to the idea of Bangalore as well, provided a member agrees to arrange for the location of the meet.
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2014
                  22 August 2015, Kolkata, my living room - Sumalji is right; we cannot afford another debacle like Mumbai. I'm fairly close to the airport, so if any member doesn't want to stay back in Kolkata, you can fly in and fly out the same day easily. If we end up with more members than my living room can handle, Novotel is just across the street (it opens next month) and Novotels usually do a mean Sunday brunch. Or there's Pride, which is even closer.

                  To the members looking to stay longer in Kolkata, there is a bit of good news - the lovely people at Calcutta Explorers are in the process of working out a "Detective Walk" for Kolkata - we could do that on Saturday (21 August 2015).

                  And if you're a foodie, I'm always happy to take you on a sort of "food tour"...just keep a lot of empty space in your tummies.