The Twelve Best in the Canon!

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2016

      Dear Holmesians,

      Conan Doyle was asked about his 12 favourite stories in the Canon ,and the list he came up with runs as follows:

      1.    “The Adventure of the Speckled Band” (“a grim story” that “I am sure will be on every list”),

      2.    “The Redheaded League”

      3.    “The Adventure of the Dancing Men” (due, as with “The Redheaded League,” to “the originality of the plot”)

      4.   “The Final Problem” (“we could hardly leave out the story which deals with the only foe who ever really extended Holmes, and which deceived the public (and Watson) into the erroneous inference of his death”)

      5.    “A Scandal in Bohemia” (since, as the first short story in the series, “it opened the path for the others,” and “it has more female interest than is usual”)

      6.    “The Adventure of the Empty House” (“the story which esssays the difficult task of explaining away the alleged death of Holmes”)

      7.    “The Five Orange Pips” (“though it is short it has a certain dramatic quality of its own”)

      8.    “The Adventure of the Second Stain” (for its treatment of “high diplomacy and intrigue”)

      9.    The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot” (“grim and new”)

      10. “The Adventure of the Priory School” (“worth a place if only for the dramatic moment when Holmes points his finger at the Duke”)

      11. “The Musgrave Ritual” (for its inclusion of “a historical touch which gives it a little added distinction” and “a memory from Holmes’ early life”)

      12. “The Reigate Squires” (in which “on the whole, Holmes himself shows perhaps the most ingenuity”)

       Can members tell us what are their favorites and do they agree with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

      Regards,

      Sumal S

    • Ron Lies
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2016

        I would replace The Second Stain or the Reigate Squires with The Boscombe Valley mystery. Even with the confusing train speed episode. The Boscombe Valley was a mystery I thoroughly enjoyed  and I thought the story was better put together and ended satisfactory with the loose ends tied up.  Ron aka The Game is Afoot

        On 11/24/2016 10:09 AM, sumalsn wrote:

[...]

      • Prof. Venugopal bhaskaran nair

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2016
            My personal #1 would be the Speckled Band as well - it is a fine locked-room story. But Red-headed League at #2 wouldn't be my choice - I always found that story to be stretching my credulity a bit too far (along with the Three Garridebs). Boscombe Valley Mystery would figure in my top 5 at least, if not at #2. That fills the slot for "stories about past life in the colonies catching up", so the Five Orange Pips falls off the list, for me. Dancing Men stays, as a great code-breaking story. So does Devil's Foot - for Holmes' views on crime and punishment. #5 would be a story with a plain old detection (crime-detection-apprehension) theme - Naval Treaty, Priory School, Silver Blaze etc. all fit the bill; of these I'd pick the first because of the romantic angle.

            So my top 5:

            1. Speckled Band
            2. Boscombe Valley Mystery
            3. Dancing Men
            4. Devil's Foot
            5. Naval Treaty

            Need to work on expanding this. :-)

            Binand

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2016
              Dear Holmesians,

              My choices are
              1. Speckled band.(SPEC)- For being a locked room mystery and the sheer ingenuity of the plot
              2. Devil's foot(DEVI)- Dr. Leon Sterndale's personality impresses
              3. Lion's Mane(LION)-Narrated by Sherlock Holmes( one of the two stories in the Canon ).
              4.Charles Augustus Milverton(CAM)- Sherlock  Holmes acts as vigilante
              5. Engineer's Thumb(ENGR)- Sherlock Holmes fails to pin down the culprits.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2016
                Dear  Shri Binand,
                Good list supported by reasons. Looking forward to your expanded list.