military people in fiction

  • Tim Symonds
    Message 1 of 1 , 5 Jan 2:36 am
      Dear All, I have just sent this suggestion to a contact at the Imperial War Museum. Further suggestions could also be passed on. Fiction has had an immense place in the history of warfare, as we know even from Watson's military service. Best to all. Tim

      *****
      To Hilary Roberts at the -

      [Imperial War Museums logo.png]

      Dear Hilary, walking yesterday in the High Weald yesterday produced an idea which I hope the IWM might consider. How about a display or cabinet or other means to portray famous fictitious military people such as Dr. John H. Watson? For example, I can offer a badge for the 5th (Northumberland Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot which fought in the Second Afghan War when Watson was attached to them for the Battle of Maiwand. The display for Watson could include accurate detail of the Battle, including an example of the jezail long barrelled rifle used by the Afghan warriors, which wounded Watson, and why we lost that battle. I don't recall Watson ever being shown in military attire - perhaps medical personnel went to battle in civvies?
      [https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Jezail.jpg/200px-Jezail.jpg%5d<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jezail.jpg>

      There are a good number of other famous examples of military people in fiction familiar to millions of us - land, sea and air - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_military_personnel_by_rank including Major-General Sir Richard Hannay. Perhaps, for the American movie-goer particularly, Forrest Gump: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump_(character)

      In the Wiki listing I was amazed not to discover Watson's name. Either I haven't got his rank correct - I assumed he would be the equivalent of a Captain as a medical doctor - or they didn't know his rank and overlooked him.

      With best wishes

      Tim

      http://tim-symonds.co.uk