FW: Country Life quiz

  • Tim Symonds
    Message 1 of 5 , 5 Jan 4:32 am

      Members might try their hand at my quiz in Country Life -

      Best to all.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 5 , 5 Jan 6:40 pm
        23 on 25.

        - 1. Didn't know where AC is buried. Need to revisit the biography of the author again.

        - 14. Dispute. "Feeble" is the adjective Watson uses to describe Holmes' knowledge of politics. On the other hand, Holmes actually "plays the violin well". Differentiating between "well" and "wonderfully well" is nitpicking.

        Binand

        Message 3 of 5 , 6 Jan 2:26 am

          I agree, I had some difficulty with the ‘feeble’ concerning Holmes’s violin playing. My general impression from the Conan Doyle stories is Watson was not especially keen to be around when Holmes whiled away some hours on the Strad.

          With best wishes

          Tim

          http://tim-symonds.co.uk

          Message 4 of 5 , 6 Jan 7:58 am

            On 6 January 2017 at 15:56, Tim Symonds tim.symonds@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

            My general impression from the Conan Doyle stories is Watson was not especially keen to be around when Holmes whiled away some hours on the Strad.

            On the contrary...

            I see that I have alluded above to his powers upon the violin. These
            were very remarkable, but as eccentric as all his other accomplishments.
            That he could play pieces, and difficult pieces, I knew well, because
            at my request he has played me some of Mendelssohn's Lieder, and other
            favourites. When left to himself, however, he would seldom produce any
            music or attempt any recognized air. Leaning back in his arm-chair of
            an evening, he would close his eyes and scrape carelessly at the fiddle
            which was thrown across his knee. Sometimes the chords were sonorous and
            melancholy. Occasionally they were fantastic and cheerful. Clearly they
            reflected the thoughts which possessed him, but whether the music aided
            those thoughts, or whether the playing was simply the result of a whim
            or fancy was more than I could determine. I might have rebelled against
            these exasperating solos had it not been that he usually terminated them
            by playing in quick succession a whole series of my favourite airs as a
            slight compensation for the trial upon my patience.
          • Tim Symonds
            Message 5 of 5 , 6 Jan 9:03 am

              Hi Binand, yes, I noted the bit about ‘I might have rebelled against

              these exasperating solos had it not been that he usually terminated them

              by playing in quick succession a whole series of my favourite airs as a

              slight compensation for the trial upon my patience.’

              Nevertheless, I’ll definitely remove that particular quiz question and change it to something else in the future, easily done!

              With best wishes

              Tim

              http://tim-symonds.co.uk