Fwd: The Lost Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle

  • SHSI Editors
    Message 1 of 1 , 26 Jun
      Interesting stuff!

      ---------- Forwarded message ---------
      From: John Raffensperger <j-raffensperger@...>
      Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 at 01:28
      Subject: The Lost Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle
      To: shsieditors@... <shsieditors@...>, shsieditors@... <shsieditors@...>

      Dear Jayantika Ganguly,

      We may have met at the last Sherlock Holmes meeting in New York--at least I have your card. The Sherlock Holmes Society of India will surely be interested in my recently published background material on Dr. Joseph Bell, the Edinburgh surgeon who was the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes and the young Dr. Arthur Conan Doyle.

      MX, the primary publisher of material on Sherlock Holmes has just released the three "Lost Diaries of Young Arthur Conan Doyle".  These are, "ADVENTURES IN THE WILD WEST, 1878"  "ADVENTURES IN RUSSIA, 1881" AND "ADVENTURES IN AMERICA , 1883"  The books are available individually or combined in a special hardback edition that also contains an illustrated essay on Dr. Bell and the medical life of Arthur Conan Doyle.

      The 'diaries' are based on historic events; the medical-surgical scenes are true to the 19th century. The reader will learn why Conan Doyle based his character, Sherlock Holmes on Dr. Bell.  It was because of Dr. Bell's extraordinary skill at making a diagnosis and deducing criminal events  such as attempted assassinations of the American president and the Russian Tsar.   You will also learn why Holmes became addicted to cocaine.

      I have had many Indian colleagues during my practice of pediatric surgery in Chicago and Dr. V. Raveenthiran, professor of pediatric surgery at the SRM University of Chennai wrote a chapter on pediatric surgery in ancient India for my book on the history of children's surgery.

      Your members will have to make a guess;  are the 'Lost Diaries" true or a hoax?

      Sincerely,

      John Raffensperger, MD

      Professor of Surgery, [emeritus] Northwestern University, Chicago

      --
      SHSI Editors
      Proceedings of the Pondicherry Lodge