Re: SHSI The best Pastiches ever

  • Noufal Ibrahim KV
    Message 1 of 6 , 20 Oct
      I've read only the seven percent solution. However, I've read a "study
      in Emerald" which is also be Gaiman and a cross between the Cthulhu
      mythos and our detective.

      On Fri, Oct 20 2017, sumalsn wrote:

      > Dear Holmesians,
      >

      > I suppose all of us have read our share of Sherlock Holmes pastiches
      >

      > This is the list of Top 10 Sherlock Holmes pastiches according to Lyndsay Faye, who has written a Sherlock Holmes pastiche , "The Whole art of Detection"
      >

      > Here goes the list,
      >

      > The Seven Per Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer.
      >
      > 2. The Case of Death and Honey” by Neil Gaiman.
      >

      > 3. A Sherlockian Quartet by Rick Boyer.
      >

      > 4. The Doctor’s Case” by Stephen King
      >

      > 5. IQ by Joe Ide
      >

      > 1. The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King.
      >

      > 2. Good Night, Mr. Holmes by Carole Nelson Douglass
      >

      > 1. The Adventure of the Laughing Jarvey” by Stephen Fry.
      >

      > 2. The Final Solution by Michael Chabon.
      >

      > 3. Sherlock Holmes and the Muffin” by Dorothy B. Hughes.
      >

      > Ho How many have you read?
      >

      > Re Regards,
      > Su Sumalsn
      >

      > Ho
      >

      > Ho
      >

      > 6.

    • Philip K Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , 20 Oct

        My fellow Sherlockians:

        I have been collecting and writing about Sherlockian fiction (Pastiches, Parodies and Related Fiction) for more than 15 years.  As far as I know, my collection (over 8,000 items) is the largest there is.  My database lists more than 12,000 items and I have reviewed hundreds of pieces of Sherlockian fiction.  For many years I was convinced that there were only two pieces that were as good as any in the Canon: Gaiman's "Study in Emerald" and Sayers' Peter Wimsey crossover, "The Case of the Missing Kitten."  When David Marcum brought out the first of the "MX Book of Sherlock Holmes Stories…" series, I changed my mind.  In the first four volumes of that series, I found several more to add to the list of "tales as good as any in the Canon" and I look forward to more volumes to come.  Further, I found a number I would consider to be as good as or better than "the worst in the Canon."  Opinions in this area will differ from any one Sherlockian to any other, but I hope all of you will try these anthologies and find them as pleasant to read as I did.

        Sincerely:

        Philip K. Jones

        An Illdressed Vagabond

        pkenj@...

        Message 3 of 6 , 20 Oct
          Read all ten, but other than "The Seven Percent Solution" and "The Beekeeper's Apprentice", I won't say the others rank on my top ten pastiche list. I agree with Phil, the MX Collection is something else. In recent times, I'd rank Bonnie's "Art in the Blood", Kareem Abdul Jabbar's "Mycroft Holmes" and Jamyang Norbu's "The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes" very, very highly. Derrick's new collections are really, really good, too. I especially loved "Before Baker Street".

          Cheers
          Jay

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 20-Oct-2017, at 22:47, 'Philip K Jones' pkenj@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

          My fellow Sherlockians:

          I have been collecting and writing about Sherlockian fiction (Pastiches, Parodies and Related Fiction) for more than 15 years.  As far as I know, my collection (over 8,000 items) is the largest there is.  My database lists more than 12,000 items and I have reviewed hundreds of pieces of Sherlockian fiction.  For many years I was convinced that there were only two pieces that were as good as any in the Canon: Gaiman's "Study in Emerald" and Sayers' Peter Wimsey crossover, "The Case of the Missing Kitten."  When David Marcum brought out the first of the "MX Book of Sherlock Holmes Stories…" series, I changed my mind.  In the first four volumes of that series, I found several more to add to the list of "tales as good as any in the Canon" and I look forward to more volumes to come.  Further, I found a number I would consider to be as good as or better than "the worst in the Canon.."  Opinions in this area will differ from any one Sherlockian to any other, but I hope all of you will try these anthologies and find them as pleasant to read as I did.

          Sincerely:

          Philip K. Jones

          An Illdressed Vagabond

          pkenj@...

          I've read only the seven percent solution. However, I've read a "study
          in Emerald" which is also be Gaiman and a cross between the Cthulhu
          mythos and our detective.

          On Fri, Oct 20 2017, sumalsn wrote:

          > Dear Holmesians,
          >

          > I suppose all of us have read our share of Sherlock Holmes pastiches
          >

          > This is the list of Top 10 Sherlock Holmes pastiches according to Lyndsay Faye, who has written a Sherlock Holmes pastiche , "The Whole art of Detection"
          >

          > Here goes the list,
          >

          > The Seven Per Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer.
          >
          > 2. The Case of Death and Honey” by Neil Gaiman.
          >

          > 3. A Sherlockian Quartet by Rick Boyer.
          >

          > 4. The Doctor’s Case” by Stephen King
          >

          > 5. IQ by Joe Ide
          >

          > 1. The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King.
          >

          > 2. Good Night, Mr. Holmes by Carole Nelson Douglass
          >

          > 1. The Adventure of the Laughing Jarvey” by Stephen Fry.
          >

          > 2. The Final Solution by Michael Chabon.
          >

          > 3. Sherlock Holmes and the Muffin” by Dorothy B. Hughes.
          >

          > Ho How many have you read?
          >

          > Re Regards,
          > Su Sumalsn
          >

          > Ho
          >

          > Ho
          >

          > 6.

        • Noufal Ibrahim KV
          Message 4 of 6 , 20 Oct
            Wow, you rate Study in Emerald really high on such a huge list. I'm
            happy that I've read it. I quite enjoyed it when I first went through it
            but now that the details have evaporated from my brain, it's time to
            indulge in a fresh reading.

            Thanks! :)

          • Noufal Ibrahim KV
            Message 5 of 6 , 20 Oct
              Well, that's something. I didn't like Mandala at all. :-/

            • Ron Lies