Who was the solitary cyclist?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2017
      Yet another interesting Sherlock Holmes related article on the curio
      blog, Futility Closet.

      https://www.futilitycloset.com/2017/12/08/guidance/

      This one though, I think we have discussed here in the past.

      Binand
    • Sajan Venniyoor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2017
        1. “I will now lay before the reader the facts connected with Miss Violet Smith, the solitary cyclist of Charlington, and the curious sequel of our investigation, which culminated in unexpected tragedy.”
        2. “‘That’s the man!’ I [Watson] gasped. A solitary cyclist was coming towards us. His head was down …”
        Ah, the Oxford comma. Such a useful device. Think of the difference between "I would like to thank my parents, Oprah Winfrey, and Barack Obama" and "I would like to thank my parents, Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama."

        I see from the canon that ACD seldom used alliteration in his titles, except in this case, and in the Dying Detective, and the Second Stain. Those who remember their Erle Stanley Gardner will recollect that every other Perry Mason story had an alliterative title (The Case of the Borrowed Brunette; the Cautious Coquette; the Vagabond Virgin; the Fiery Finger; the Grinning Gorilla and so on).

        Difficult to imagine ACD writing The Adventure of the Negligent Nymph.

        Thanks, Binand.

        Sajan

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2017
          On 11 December 2017 at 08:42, Sajan Venniyoor venniyoor@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
          Those who remember their Erle Stanley Gardner will recollect that every other Perry Mason story had an alliterative title

          Of the 82 Perry Mason novels, 40 have the same first letter for the two parts after the "The Case of the". And then there is the case of the "Careless Kitten". So your "every other" is exactly right. :-)