Follow your passion and heart in the career path

  • RK Dhanvada
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007
      Today's Sunday edition of Times of India is a sheer delight .  I read and re read the beneath..  First read that now..

      Career path is all about passion in whatever one is doing and wants to do.. It has no peer compare at all.. Change in career path can be made at any time .. The benefits are immense with the joy related.
      The beneath article reinforces lot of understanding and learning of life.. Like the one beneath mentions of Arun Pai who is a Financial Consultant turned to Tour Operator.   I am also like him is one person who always enjoyed dropping my daughter and picking her also back to school.. Same thing still Rajdeep Sardesai does and enjoys..

      I was at a tourist spot when I saw Bhojpuri speaking having dinner in the next table.. He was so much in demand when he would address all the tourist in a mix of French, Spanish and needless to mention the English. Next day , he was regaling the crowd with a single liners when conducting the tour.  Understand he pick the tips alone of not less 300-400 US Dollars and works only twice a week .. He is the most sought Tourist guide around.  He enjoys playing the dholak with local music  and gossiping with his friends.. He has done several holidays with family to Europe and Latin America

      I am sure he did not do any MBA or IIT .. Formal education is all about making a person skillful to be able to decision in life .. Not just those stupid marksheet and degrees alone..

      But following your passion and to what your heart says.

      Have a great Sunday

      With best wishes always,

      RK Dhanvada
      Recruitment Consultant & CEO Coach
      D & HR Consultants , Hyderabad
      rk@...
      ++ 91 40 23834540
      ++ 91 9440179822 ( Mobile )
      http://www.ryze.com/go/Dhanvada

      Try to learn something about everything
      and everything about something.

           - T.H. Huxley

      New India gets experimental

      Meenakshi Sinha | TNN

         Stability, security, permanence — these seem boring and staid words in the present Indian order. With the economy opening up and throwing new jobs into the pipeline, you don’t have to be an NRI to make a career shift or work in NGOs seeking a prosperous rural India. Many enterprising individuals at the top of their careers are happily and successfully chucking up stable careers to find new meaning in their lives. Who wants to lumber through a 9 am-5 pm shift, if at all such a thing exists in the private sector any more?

         Now, tech wizards, investors, IT and medical professionals are all turning dreamers and visionaries. They are willing to discard the cushioned path to pursue their passions and are even making a radical career switch.

         One of the factors driving this change is the booming economy. Noted columnist Rama Bijapurkar, better known as India’s market strategy consultant, says flexibility is the buzz word now and has become a valued commodity. Quite a change from the rigid norms and values of the 60s and 70s. ‘‘Today, there’s rigidity towards fixed professions like medicine, law and engineering,’’ she says. But these aren’t the only mantras to success now.

         Bijapurkar, a commentator on economic and social change in an evolving, liberalizing India, attributes this change to parents becoming more democratic, what with new opportunities being available to the current generation. With basic roti, kapada and makaan issues being taken care of, they know their kids won’t exactly be stranded on the road or be left wanting for the necessities of life. They can therefore afford to experiment with different jobs, she explains.

         Though this section comprises merely 20% of the economy, it has seen sky-rocketing remunerations within their small range of options. ‘‘The opening of Indian economy in the 1990s has seen dramatic growth rate in select sectors like IT, high-end and middle-level jobs and BPOs,’’ says Praveen Jha, faculty member, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, JNU. This sea change, he says, has come about due to a sense of restlessness and inadequacy with the current job. ‘‘New opportunities only made the task easier, as people found more job satisfaction with a career switch,’’ he says.

         As old patterns came under tremendous strain from the new order, sociologists found this a winwin situation in terms of social acceptance. ‘‘Earlier, we were status-seekers, so we stuck to professions like civil services, medicine and engineering. That’s no longer the case today,’’ says Anand Kumar, professor, sociology, JNU.

         In fact, he says, there have been three noticeable changes in urban India. One, the new direction of the economy has created new spaces. Second, the stature attached to select jobs is crumbling, leading to newer possibilities. Third, a spirit of adventure has set in. But the latter is temporary for want of meaningful engagement.

         Maybe that’s one reason why Michael Lewis, author of best-sellers like Liar’s Poker, Moneyball and The New Thing, maintains that progress should be calculated in terms of what it has rolled over or left behind. In the Indian context, it depicts a growing trend towards individuals who have seized new job opportunities to harness their skills in various creative fields.

      =======================

      CAREER SWITCH

      They are successful, well-off and secure. Then suddenly, mid-career, they chuck it all up. Just like that. To opt out of the rat race, to give in to their creativity, to simply be happy. Sunday Times profiles those for whom life starts NOW

      Meenakshi Sinha | TNN

         They followed their heart to make their dreams come true. But they went about it in a systematic manner. The winds of change are here for everyone to see.

      SRINJOY BANERJEE | Tyre technologist to classical singer

      When Meerut-based Srinjoy Banerjee quit his job almost a decade ago at Modi Rubber, friends and relatives panicked. Why did the 48-year-old tyre technologist quit at this late juncture? How would he keep the kitchen fires burning? But Banerjee was unfazed. His heart lay in classical music, an unviable venture.
         And that’s how this MBA executive started pursuing his passion — he gave tuitions in music to neighbourhood kids. Thankfully, his wife and children supported him when he set out as a lone crusader. He soon became part-time principal at Sangeet Samaj Music School, Meerut. Later, he headed Meerut FM radio channel (Arts and Culture) and today, he’s a professional artist in his city.

      DR MAHESH CHITNIS | Doctor to actor and film producer

      This 30-year-old GP from Mumbai has the good looks of an actor. And though he practised from his Mahim clinic till

      sometime back, he’s gaining fame as a stage actor-cum-documentary film maker. It wasn’t always like this. In littleknown Chiplan in the Konkan from where he hails, ‘‘there was no TV or exposure to entertainment, so I studied medicine. But my main passion lies in acting,’’ says Dr Mahesh Chitnis.

         He first acted in a Marathi serial Manachiye Gunti, but gained celebrity status from his TV show Hello Doctor on DD Sahiyadri. Slowly, he groomed himself for a career in acting. ‘‘I’m also planning to make a few Marathi films and act in Hindi films,’’ he says proudly. From building his personality, a new fitness regime, stylish hairstyle and wardrobe — the makeover has been complete.

         Chitnis now owns two production houses — Listen Moving Images and Famavi Visuals. It’s been a satisfying jump — from making close to Rs 60,000 monthly as a doctor to well-paid actor. Chitnis has managed to buy his own place in Mahim, a 600 sq ft abode for Rs 35 lakh and a 300 sq ft office space in Shivaji Park for Rs 25 lakh. Good going, doc!

      JAYESH MORVANKAR | Advertising to adventure sports

      He definitely wasn’t a ‘yes’ man to his boss. Neither was he inclined to do a 9-5 job. No wonder, 36-year-old Jayesh Morvankar who ventured into advertising in the early 90s, took the beaten path in 1998. ‘‘I found it a complete waste of time — trying to do just what the boss wanted.’’ That’s when he got hooked to adventure sports. ‘‘I was always looking for a break where experiencing the world counted more,’’ he says philosophically. And he did his research before taking the plunge. And plunge he did — into organising weekend field trips. Talk about being imaginatively creative in the late 90s when pubbing and partying were more the in-thing. Morvankar now organises customised treks to the Western Ghats and Himalayas. He’s happy. From a monotonous job lacking in creative satisfaction, he found his vocation in nature’s lap. Here’s to you, lone ranger.

      VARUN KHERA & MANAS WADHVA Jet Airways stewards to restaurateurs

      Varun Khera, 26, calls himself King of My Own Space. And he found it in quite a lip-smacking way, along with friend and colleague, Manas Wadhva. It was Varun’s enthusiasm which made the shift from being Jet Airways steward for four years to being a restaurateur easy. The duo started Desi Vibes in Nodia despite family and friends warning against the career move. Who else would throw up a Rs 40,000 salary and likely promotion for the vagaries of business?

         But they went about it systematically. ‘‘We ate in almost all the restaurants in and around Delhi and figured that Indians don’t like to experiment much with food. Primarily three cuisines work for them — Pizza, McDonalds and Indian thali,’’ says Varun. They decided to stick to North Indian cuisine. After raising Rs 30 lakh, they gave the restaurant an ethnic ambience, complete with village well and Murphy radio perched in a corner.

         Their jobs as stewards came in handy — personalised service, along with complimentary sweet lime drink, various pickles and papad to lure customers. They’re now ready to dip their fingers into another venture in August. This time, it’ll be Mediterranean and Continental cuisines. ‘‘The emphasis will be on exotic desserts, all reasonably priced,’’ reveals Manas. Sounds yummy?

      ARUN PAI | Financial consultant to tour operator

      Arun Pai, 37, has always been a step ahead of the times. In the early ‘90s, this IIT graduate didn’t go to the US like his classmates. Instead, he went to IIM. After a high-flying career as financial consultant, he gave that up also to be a tour
      guide. Yes, that’s right. He’s packaging Bangalore’s history in the form of heritage walks.

         A posting in Europe got him fascinated with heritage walks. ‘‘In the UK, they have Bollywood tours which take you to places where films have been shot. They are marketing Bollywood to Indians,’’ he says. Impressed with how western countries packaged their tourist spots, he realised this was his calling.

         But he took six months off to figure out how he would hold these heritage walks. ‘‘Now, I haven’t had a Sunday off in two years,’’ he says. But leaving a lucrative career couldn’t have been easy. ‘‘Those in MNCs may get paid well, but their lives aren’t cushy. They work crazy hours. Here, I’m master of my own time,’’ he says. ‘‘I’m probably the only dad who drops and picks up his kids from school,’’ he says. Plus, he works as hard as he needs to. ‘‘At the end of the day, I get tremendous professional satisfaction.’’ From being a cog in the corporate wheel, he’s now the envy of his peers.

      MRINALINI BATRA | Engineer to marketing education

      The call of home made her change jobs. No wonder Delhi’s Mrinalini Batra, an electrical engineer from Delhi College of Engineering, left the greener pastures of US, to come home. She was working for Belcore and Microvision till 1992. After coming back, the 40-year-old started an educational institute — International Educational Exchange — for students wanting to study abroad.

         ‘‘I saw potential in marketing international education in the early 90s, as many Indian students wanted to study abroad, but didn’t know how to go about it,’’ she says. Today, she’s an accomplished career counsellor who guides students through their GRE, GMAT and SAT tests. She also provides career guidance to top universities such as Cornel, Harvard and Columbia. Her fees? Close to Rs 50,000 for a year’s counselling. This includes tests, getting recommendation letters and visa applications.

      SANJEEV CHOPRA | Engineer to theatre person

      The arch lights drew this engineer. In fact, this ex-IITian who will turn 50 in November, had decided long back that he would quit being a professional and take up dramatics at 50. He couldn’t wait that long. In 2005, at the age of 48, he quit as GM, Ranbaxy, and joined an ex-IITian drama group, Dramatech. Later, he started a professional theatre group, Natwa, along with well-known theatre personality Prof Mohan Maharishi.

         Chopra has performed in more than 25 plays. ‘‘This is my life and has always been my passion, not the corporate world,’’ he says. But he knows theatre is not a viable medium to sustain a livelihood. ‘‘I didn’t start my career here. I’m not looking at sustaining myself through theatre.’’And the future? Films, maybe.

      SACHIN PATIL | IT professional to wine-maker

      He’s a master of degrees — environmental engineering, MBA in marketing and LLB from ILS Law College, Pune. Sachin Patil was sure he had achieved everything when he landed a plush job at KPIT Cummins Infosystems Ltd in 1998. Three years later, he joined Bharat Forge Ltd, where his work took him abroad. But, two years later, boredom hit hard. ‘‘In 2003, I was 28, had seen half the world, was earning good money and in a secure job. But I needed new challenges,’’ recounts Sachin.

         After researching for almost a year, he decided to start a winery, much to the consternation of his family. ‘‘Thankfully, they never discouraged me. My friends and colleagues, all from IT, thought I had lost my mind,’’ he says smiling.

         The winery industry was beginning to grow in Maharashtra then. ‘‘ Glitches were there. ‘‘The bank sat on my loan application for over eight months. Finally, I scraped all my savings and with the help of a cousin, I set up my wine factory at Narhe in 2005 in a 10-acre plot.’’

         He’s doing well. He entered into a contract with farmers in Baramati who supply him grapes and fruit like jamun and karonda for his wines. Last year, his 5000-sq ft Swirl Winerieya, manufactured 10,000 litres of ‘exotic tropical fruit wines’. This year, 10,000 litres more will be ready by December. ‘‘I’ll be travelling to the US to market my wines,’’ beams a satisfied Sachin. Heady stuff, huh?

      SIDHU | Doctor to rockstar

      From medicine to music, the highway is anything but straight. But Sidhu (Sidhartha), frontman of Bangla band Cactus, firmly believes that lineal is boring. And so, after 19 years pursuing medicine, he remains harmonious with his radical switch-over. ‘‘Let’s put it this way...I had agreed to an arranged marriage, but was compelled to break out of it when I found love. When love takes precedence, tradition often takes the back seat,’’ winks the 37-year-old.

         ‘‘It wasn’t easy,’’ he says. ‘‘In 2001, I was doing shifts to pursue my Diplomat of National Board (DNB) in medicine. Suddenly, our band received a film offer (Neel Nirjone) and we became celebrities overnight. There were shows and more shows. Finally, I had to choose between medicine and music. I listened to my instinct.’’ And he’s never looked back.

         His doctor father had big dreams for him. He enrolled him in St Lawrence School, dreaming he would follow in his footsteps. He admits he misses medicine at times. ‘‘The sheer joy I found in people’s eyes when their loved one returned from the grip of death — that was instant gratification. Music gives people a different kind of joy, though,’’ muses Sidhu. But there’s a similarity. ‘‘Both music and medicine bring positive energy.’’ The scalpel is a thing of the past now.

         WITH INPUTS FROM SHARMISHTA KOUSHIK,
         ANGONA PAUL AND AJANTA CHAKRABORTY

      Dr Chitnis: This is no touch-and-go

      Varun and Manas: What’s cooking?

      Arun Pai: Heritage calling

      Sachin Patil: The joy of wine-ing

      Sidhu: Quite a rocking life

      AMITABH BACHCHAN

      He’s called the Shahenshah of Indian cinema. But it wasn’t always like this. He worked as a freight broker for shipping firm Bird and Co. in Calcutta before he found his calling in Bollywood. And that rich baritone wasn’t always a crowdpuller. He was once rejected by AIR for the post of announcer. Now of course, there’s no one quite like him in Bollywood — his voice has set new benchmarks in narration and dialogue delivery.

      ==================

      RAJIV GANDHI

      He was the son and grandson of prime ministers. But he showed no political proclivities. Rather, flying was more in his blood and he became a pilot in Indian Airlines. But after the tragic and untimely death of younger brother Sanjay Gandhi, he was catapulted into politics, much against his wife’s wishes. Becoming prime minister in 1984 after Indira Gandhi’s assassination was a forgone conclusion, given his family’s political lineage.

      SHEKHAR KAPUR

      He was a qualified chartered accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants. But unmotivated and disillusioned by this conventional career, Kapur abandoned it to pursue his creative interests in films. Today, he is an internationally-acclaimed film director who gave a slew of hits such as Masoom, Mr India and Elizabeth. Incidentally, Shekhar Kapur is veteran actor Dev Anand’s nephew. Talk about the effect of genes.

      ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

      He’s had quite a metamorphosis. Born in Thal, Austria, he was christened Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger. He served in the Austrian Army in 1965 before he turned body builder, Hollywood superstar and later, politician.
      He was called ‘Austrian Oak’ during his body-building days, ‘Arnie’ in Hollywood and now, ‘Governator’. He’s more famous in his second avatar now as governor of California.

      CHUCK NORRIS

      He’s a martial artist, action star and Hollywood actor. In 2006, he became the subject of an internet phenomenon — Chuck Norris Facts. Few know he worked as an air policeman with the US Air Force in 1958 and was sent to Osan Air Base, South Korea, before he turned to martial arts and Hollywood. It was in South Korea that Norris acquired the nickname Chuck and began training in Tang Soo Do (tangsudo), an interest that would lead to the founding of the Chun Kuk Do (‘Universal Way’) form