Re: [Tamilbirds] Re: IBA conservation projects

  • Subramaniam Chandrasekaran
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
      Even now we haven"t lost all. the existing portion of Pallikkaranai, however meagre it is, could be redeemed and saved as a wetland. To make this, we can always approach the Corporates who were partly responsible for the debacle.Take the case of Adyar Poonga! so much of opposition for that.Now all of you go birding there! So, all one needs to do is look ahead rather than being pessimistic in ruing over past. MNS can very well lobby for this with its share of seasoned Ornithologists. Even if we dont suceed, why we should be averse to even try?

      From: Subramaniam Chandrasekaran <hkinneri@yahoo. com>
      To: Tamilbirds@yahoogro ups.co.in
      Date: Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, 8:40 PM

      Probably, the irony is that we have failed to get Pallikkaranai declared as an IBA .Even now it is not late.We can act towards it.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
        Dear Kumaran
        Spot on when you say anticipate and save.But lessons learnt? I don't
        know. i have been using every forum available to highlight the need
        for saving the wetlands of kanyakuamri dist,at least those that have
        been declared as IBAs.Day by day, like the termites working silently
        and and out of sight, composite ecosystems are being eaten away-
        disappearing! Advise a plenty, sounds nice on a discussion forum, but
        practically... very little ( i should actually say nothing) is being
        done.

        geetha

        --- In Tamilbirds@..., "k_sathasivam" <k_sathasivam@...>
        wrote:

        > The apparent inevitability of the situation in Pallikaranai is tragic.
        >
        > The lesson here is to anticipate and protect other areas.
        >
        > Regards
        > Kumaran
        >

        > --- In Tamilbirds@..., "vsram2003" <vsram2003@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Pallikaranai may not have really qualified as an IBA since the
        > > criteria is very specific. It is only recently that we have started
        > > seeing the spotbilled pelicans there. Besides, it may be a tough
        > > challenge protecting the place at this stage when it has become an
        > > island in the midst of vast developmental activities.
        > > We have a tendency to wake up late and react to what is happening
        > > around us. Rather than crying over what has already taken place, we
        > > should try to anticipate threats and be more pro-active in our
        > > conservation strategies.
        > > Santharam
        > >
        > > --- In Tamilbirds@..., Subramaniam Chandrasekaran
        > > <hkinneri@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Probably, the irony is that we have failed to get Pallikkaranai
        > > declared as an IBA .Even now it is not late.We can act towards it.

      • vsram2003
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
          Can I ask a simple question - who is the one who is responsible for
          getting areas protected? Why do we always keep saying we only discuss
          things but do not act?
          If you have an area that needs protection you should initiate the
          action. Get others involved, meet officials, mobilise public opinion
          through media coverage or other means. We can all back your actions
          and help with whatever we can but I think the person who feels
          strongly about protecting a place must take the lead. Please get all
          the facts about the place, inform others what is the importance,
          status etc of the place and lobby for its protection.
          How can we otherwise move forward? How can we sitting in far off
          places do things that one who at the site cannot do?
          We are willing to help out in whatever way we can - please tell us
          what to do.
          Santharam

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2008
            I am not being pessimistic, Chandru. I am also not averse to people
            taking it up with officials and corporates. In fact we should try
            conserve every bit of wilderness we can in our beloved city.
            I did post a message sometime ago in Tamilbirds which said that
            Pallikaranai was one of the three wetland sites in Tamilnadu that has
            been chosen for protection by the MOEF. We should back it up and see
            how we can get the best out of this.
            But what I am trying to say is something totally different. We took up
            the issue of Adyar Estuary after the damage was already done. We are
            trying to save whatever is left of Pallikaranai after all the
            destruction. If you had seen this place before all the development had
            been initiated, you will know what we have already lost. I now fear
            this is fate awaiting Nanmangalam. We should be more pro-active and
            try to save wilderness areas before they are damaged or "developed".
            Regarding Adyar Poonga, though I admire and appreciate all the efforts
            initiated, I don't think what we now have is anything comparable with
            what we could have had if the original ecosystem was protected.
            We have to console ourselves with the fact that we now live in an age
            where we need to learn to give and take - what is also called as
            reconciliation ecology. We cannot win always. We should be willing to
            sacrifice something and be happy with some kind of compromises.

            com> wrote:

            > From: Subramaniam Chandrasekaran <hkinneri@yahoo. com>
            > Subject: Re: [Tamilbirds] Re: IBA conservation projects
            > To: Tamilbirds@yahoogro ups.co.in
            > Date: Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, 8:40 PM
            >
            > Probably, the irony is that we have failed to get Pallikkaranai
            declared as an IBA .Even now it is not late.We can act towards it.

          • Praveen J
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2008
              Dear all,

              Perhaps everyone realises it - but may i say - the best
              results of conservation is reaped when one have trusted informers who
              infilterate into the early preparations of any mass development which
              threaten habitats and lifeforms. The counter-attack based on this
              information is also equally secretive by building up a case to bring
              that area under stronger law, notifying it as NP, WLS or ESA as deem
              required - which cannot be claimed for the said project when it
              starts. It is far easier to do it when the development project itself
              is in its early stages.

              Its almost like espionage and counter-espionage. These
              never come into public light unlike mass protests - it would be a
              legal war played between a small set of people; a war whose result
              would have serious implications to both sides.

              I am aware of a handful of such cases in Kerala which were
              pulled off successfully - i am sure there must be similar ones in
              Tamil Nadu.

              It is perhaps in this direction Santharam sir is indicating.

              Infilterate plans, make counter plans, act early and dose
              the spark even before it becomes a fire.

              best rgds
              Praveen

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                Thanks a lot Shantaram for the reply and making clear certain views. This is what I too was talking of, probably a little vague.We always react when it is too late but then,how many of us(including me!) could give up our routine and pitch for a fight individually?Thats where organisations like MNS /NWLEA/BNHS need to step in and rope prominent persons in public life to present a forceful front.But sadly all these NGOs dont have a common approach or consensus.Take Sethu Samudram of recent origin. Even mighty institutions like MSSRF/BNHS/CEE/WWF never came together to have a common plan of action or study on the disastrous project.Even the fisherfolk whose livelihood is at stake were misled or silenced.Why not all the right thinking persons join to form a formidable front to fight such issues? I wish that such an initiative is thought of .--chandru

                com> wrote:

                > From: Subramaniam Chandrasekaran <hkinneri@yahoo. com>
                > Subject: Re: [Tamilbirds] Re: IBA conservation projects
                > To: Tamilbirds@yahoogro ups.co.in
                > Date: Tuesday, 22 July, 2008, 8:40 PM
                >
                > Probably, the irony is that we have failed to get Pallikkaranai
                declared as an IBA .Even now it is not late.We can act towards it.

              • Ssshi Kumar
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Dear All,

                  Let's forget the past and think about what we can do now. I feel that it is not too late to save Nanmangalam. I understand that apart from MNS, there are other NGOs also interested in conserving this patch of wilderness. It would be a good idea to collate a detailed biodiversity report (data for this is already available, I guess) on this area - with species lists, importance of this habitat, current disturbances and threats and recommendations (which are practical) for long term consevation. Equipped with this report, we have to pressurise the policy makers towards action. As Praveen has rightly pointed out, people with the right contacts among forest department officials and politicians would be extremely helpful in this context.

                  The immediate necessity is to fence off the area so as to minimise the disturbances caused by trespassers. This is not a great idea as far as protected areas are concerned, I know. I don't know how the local people will react to this; probably the local NGOs could suggest a better alternative.

                  And as we all know, being declared as an IBA is in no way a guarantee for consevation. You may be able to use it as an additional tool for the fight towards the cause.

                  Regards

                  Sashikumar