Re: [andamanicobar] Tsunami Survival of Great Nicobar Island

  • Colonel K V Cherian
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007
      My Dear John!

      I can understand your feelings, as I have been there recently and keep thinking as to what we can do to support the people to get back to normal life. I am working as the Secretary of the Rajya Sainik Board on Honarary basis which looks after the welfare of Ex-Servicemen and Families of serving Soldiers. In our attempt to support the ESM there we had given them little financial support but No permanent solution could be found. We thought of setting up a Co-op for selling their Farm products, but the produce is too less which would support a project. The Govt might give them alternate land, but it would take another 10 to 15 years for any substatial yield.Even if the land is allotted then one should think of some fast yielding crops.

      As an immediate solution what I feel is to improve the communication ifrastructure by land as well as coastal ferry systems and setting up of Primary Health Centers at various places starting from G.Nagar. Eventhough GREF is doing a fine job, it should be put on war footing and the complete supply system from Port Blair should support them.

      In case you have any ideas that require support from us please do contact. I am on 9434281518 and all Ex-Servicemen settlers of GNI knows me.

      Regards. Colonel (Retd) K VCherian.