Re: [andamanicobar] On World Tourism Day

  • K Narayanan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Very much true ..quite possible that the protest has it's interests
      originating from the tourism industry (hotels/vehicles)
      of the high earning group themselves ..actually, very little of the
      expenses made by so called high value tourists benefit the working
      people in the tourism industry .. it is high spenders to high getters..

      Probably, just to ensure that local people of Andaman do not
      face the of problem of high air fares, due to the ltc influx, it should
      surely be possible to reserve a portion of all flights to/from the andamans
      to the local population ..
      Narayan..

    • Nina and Ashok Rao
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        completely agree that tourism should have carrying capacity limits, and dos
        and donts. Today, it is established the 800+ million tourists are a serious
        casue of global warming, and who is affected? island people. Its so easy for
        industry, consultants and governments to talk off the top of their heads and
        gloat over double digit growth, without seeing how many people are affected
        and at what cost some should have a holiday!
        Nina Rao

        On 01/10/2007, syed pasha <sajmalpasha@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > local people are so
        > > elitist?
        > > Nina Rao
        > >

        > > On 28/09/2007, Pankaj Andaman <psekhsaria@...<psekhsaria%40gmail.com>
        > >
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hoteliers protest against low-budget Andaman
        > > tourism
        > > >

        > http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-29748020070927
        > > >
        > > > Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:28pm IST
        > > >
        > > > PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - Hundreds of tour
        > > operators and hotel
        > > > owners in the Andaman islands protested on
        > > Thursday against a scheme to
        > > > fly budget tourists to the islands, saying it had
        > > stopped wealthier
        > > > travellers from visiting.
        > > >
        > > > India recently allowed all level of government
        > > employees to use their
        > > > leave allowances to fly to the Andaman and Nicobar
        > > islands, the remotest
        > > > part of its territory, as it tried to boost the
        > > tourism-dependent
        > > > economy following the catastrophic tsunami of
        > > 2004.
        > > >
        > > > Many low-wage workers jumped at the chance to take
        > > their first flight
        > > > and visit the islands' famed beaches, forests,
        > > coral reefs and tribal
        > > > cultures -- a perk once reserved for only senior
        > > state employees.
        > > >
        > > > But islanders working in the tourism industry say
        > > crowds of
        > > > cost-conscious tourists are straining resources
        > > without generating much
        > > > income.
        > > >
        > > > "They visit the Andamans for at most a day and go
        > > back hardly spending
        > > > any money," said G. Bhasker, general secretary of
        > > the Andaman Chamber of
        > > > Commerce and Industries.
        > > >
        > > > "Agents are blocking tickets in bulk, preventing
        > > up-market tourists who
        > > > are genuinely interested in visiting our islands."
        > > >
        > > > Hundreds of protesters chose World Tourism Day to
        > > shout slogans outside
        > > > the tourism directorate in Port Blair, the
        > > archipelago's capital, and
        > > > threatened further protests if the government did
        > > not listen.
        > > >
        > > > The island's chief secretary promised to look into
        > > their complaints.
        > > >
        > > > Authorities expect more than 150,000 tourists will
        > > visit the islands
        > > > this year, but some estimate that around 80
        > > percent of those are
        > > > low-wage state employees.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > >
        > > > http://pankaj-atcrossroads.blogspot.com
        > > >
        > > > C/o Kalpavriksh
        > > > Apt. 5, Sri Dutta Krupa,
        > > > 908 Deccan Gym
        > > > Pune 411004
        > > > India
        > > > Tel: 020 25654239
        > > > Mob: 09423009933
        > > > Email: psekhsaria@... <psekhsaria%40gmail.com>
        > > <psekhsaria%40gmail.com>

        > > removed]

        > Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try

      • zubair ahmed
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          As far as we know, nobody in Andamans have oppossed LTC tourists from
          visitng the Islands. The real problem is with those who visit and manage
          fake hotel bills and vehicle bills and claim their allowance from respective
          companies without spending. That needs to be checked. Or, the hoteliers and
          tour operators will have to close down. Andaman is the only place where
          tourists make money. Regards, Zubair

          On 10/3/07, Lima Rosalind <lrosalind@...> wrote:

          > I am really surprised at this protest by the local hoteliers! One is
          > compelled to ask what percent of the revenue/profits that they have earned
          > through tourism ( read selling the beaches and the wilderness) have they
          > reinvested for the upkeep of the myriad beaches and the wilderness
          > areas? Whoever categorised travel to exotic places like the Andamans only
          > the right of "high spenders". Its really appalling.
          >
          > Lima Rosalind
          >

          > On 9/28/07, Pankaj Andaman <psekhsaria@... <psekhsaria%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Hoteliers protest against low-budget Andaman tourism
          > > http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-29748020070927
          > >
          > > Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:28pm IST
          > >
          > > PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - Hundreds of tour operators and hotel
          > > owners in the Andaman islands protested on Thursday against a scheme to
          > > fly budget tourists to the islands, saying it had stopped wealthier
          > > travellers from visiting.
          > >
          > > India recently allowed all level of government employees to use their
          > > leave allowances to fly to the Andaman and Nicobar islands, the remotest
          > > part of its territory, as it tried to boost the tourism-dependent
          > > economy following the catastrophic tsunami of 2004.
          > >
          > > Many low-wage workers jumped at the chance to take their first flight
          > > and visit the islands' famed beaches, forests, coral reefs and tribal
          > > cultures -- a perk once reserved for only senior state employees.
          > >
          > > But islanders working in the tourism industry say crowds of
          > > cost-conscious tourists are straining resources without generating much
          > > income.
          > >
          > > "They visit the Andamans for at most a day and go back hardly spending
          > > any money," said G. Bhasker, general secretary of the Andaman Chamber of
          > > Commerce and Industries.
          > >
          > > "Agents are blocking tickets in bulk, preventing up-market tourists who
          > > are genuinely interested in visiting our islands."
          > >
          > > Hundreds of protesters chose World Tourism Day to shout slogans outside
          > > the tourism directorate in Port Blair, the archipelago's capital, and
          > > threatened further protests if the government did not listen.
          > >
          > > The island's chief secretary promised to look into their complaints.
          > >
          > > Authorities expect more than 150,000 tourists will visit the islands
          > > this year, but some estimate that around 80 percent of those are
          > > low-wage state employees.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > http://pankaj-atcrossroads.blogspot.com
          > >
          > > C/o Kalpavriksh
          > > Apt. 5, Sri Dutta Krupa,
          > > 908 Deccan Gym
          > > Pune 411004
          > > India
          > > Tel: 020 25654239
          > > Mob: 09423009933
          > > Email: psekhsaria@... <psekhsaria%40gmail.com> <psekhsaria%
          > 40gmail.com>

        • Marcus Bauer
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
            Reg. Nina "Today, it is established the 800+ million tourists are a
            serious casue of global warming,..."

            Sorry for quibbling, but there are so many confusing numbers
            circulating, and re-produced by business, academics, govt. officials,
            etc. alike. In 2006 842 million INTERNATIONAL tourist ARRIVALS have been
            recorded. Question is: What actually is a tourist ARRIVAL? One might
            think that this the amount of people entering into a country, i.e. the
            recording is done on the border. BUT: in many places the arrivals are
            recorded in the destination, according to the accommodation registration
            form. This means that ONE tourist might count for various arrivals as
            always counted whenever registering in a new accommodation. As per my
            knowledge there is no general system that is followed. The problem
            starts when people confuse these figures that should serve as a
            investment decision tool. Before discussing big numbers, I suggest to
            have a close look at their origin.
            BUT: International Tourist arrivals do not include the Domestic Travel,
            which in the case of Andaman Islands are significant.  So how about
            the data on Indians travelling to the islands?

            How can you discuss a carrying capacity - which anyway is challenging as
            you have to integrate a huge number of environmental and social factors
            - without having a proper data on the number of tourists?

            Reg. Zubair: Besides: The Andamans are not the only destination where
            tourists earn money. Read this:

            Brothel owners accuse backpackers of selling sex in Australia

            SYDNEY (AFP) - Foreign backpackers funding their Australian travels
            through illegal sex work are robbing the legitimate industry of profits
            and threatening clients' health, a brothel lobbyist has warned.

            Many young tourists to sun-soaked northeastern Queensland state were
            making a quick buck as black market prostitutes, undermining registered
            operators' attempts to uphold health and safety standards, the
            Queensland Adult Business Association's Nick Inskip claimed.

            "Especially when you go up to northern Queensland, it's not unusual for
            them to be working in the illegal escort industry," Inskip said.

            Having fewer overheads, they could often undercut the legal sex industry
            on price, making it harder for the state's 23 legal brothels to make a
            profit, he said.

            "They can charge less because they are not paying GST (goods and
            services tax), staff costs for managers and receptionists," Inskip said.

            The tax office, which recently began a drive to collect tax from the
            industry, was also hard pressed to keep tabs on their undercover
            activities, he said.

            "No one asks to see their passports. If you go to a licensed brothel the
            first thing they do is ask for your passport and whether you are here
            legally."

            Although prostitution at registered brothels is legal in many parts of
            Australia, recent research suggests the taxman's attempts to target the
            industry has sparked an exodus towards riskier illegal sex work.

            Academics have also noted that the crippling cost of higher education in
            Australia has forced some foreign students to seek work as illegal
            prostitutes to make ends meet.

            http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070130/afp/070130032211asiapacificnews.html

            --- In andamanicobar@..., "Nina and Ashok Rao"
            <ashoknina@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Thursday against a scheme to
            > > > stopped wealthier

            > > > employees to use their
            > > > islands, the remotest
            > > > tourism-dependent
            > > > 2004.

            > > > their first flight
            > > > coral reefs and tribal
            > > > state employees.

            > > > crowds of
            > > > without generating much

            > > > back hardly spending
            > > > the Andaman Chamber of

            > > > up-market tourists who

            > > > shout slogans outside
            > > > archipelago's capital, and
            > > > not listen.

            > > > their complaints.

            > > > visit the islands
            > > > percent of those are

            > > > <psekhsaria%40gmail.com>

            > > > removed]

            > > Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer.

          • Sena
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
              hello Nina and Ashok

              I live in NYC and wrote directed and produced a short film about not
              trashing the beaches - "KEEP IT CLEAN"

              maybe this movie can be of help for the tourism because people trash
              beaches all over the world

              please see

              http://www.myspace.com/sena_productions

              it is an artistic environmental short film with dance

              be well
              Sena

              office:
              255 West 36th Street Suite 1005