2523No more telegrams in Himachal Pradesh

  • Sanjeev Kumar Rana
    Feb 23, 2007
      No more telegrams in Himachal Pradesh
      Posted on : 2007-02-21 | Author : Indo Asian News Service
      News Category : India

      Shimla, Feb 21 The state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has
      finally decided to stop telegram services in almost all centres
      across Himachal Pradesh, with the coming of newer communication
      technologies like emails, mobile phones and fax.

      A recent letter from BSNL to the postal department said that telegram
      services would soon not be available in the state except in 39 post
      offices.

      'Telegram services will only be provided in those places where it is
      needed and stopped at most other places,' said A.V. Chatturvedi,
      deputy general manager of BSNL.

      But the postal department, which runs around 2,700 post offices
      across the hill state, wants to continue with the services at its
      centres.

      'BSNL has decided to stop the telegram services at our post offices
      even though we would still be happy to jointly provide this service
      at our centres,' said Vijay Kumar Nayar, chief postmaster general,
      Himachal Pradesh.

      Though mobile connectivity has spread rapidly across the state, where
      around 90 percent of the hill folk live in the countryside, many
      villagers still depend on telegram services.

      http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/32804.html#