Ye we have the "India Design Council"

  • Sudhir Sharma
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
      Hi all,

      This is just my view of the meeting that happened yesterday at Mumbai and not a official report of the India Design Council. I would request other members of the Design Council who are Designindia members to share their views as well.

      So, the first meeting rolled at Mahindra Towers, President Shri Anand Mahindra conducted the meeting with Pradyumna Vyas (director NID) as the secretary designate. The house was full (sorry, I didnt count the number) with members and a few invitees.

      I am not sure if i can report all the proceedings, but can tell you that India has a Design Council now, and it means business. Yes time for us designers to feel good and also time for action. Mr. Anand Mahindra was cued on to each and every topic discussed and decisions were taken with clarity.

      The name was discussed first. As IDC the name clashes with IDC that we know...it was decided to see if it was possible to change the name, and if it wasn't if we can find a new acronym. Ravi Pooviah from IDC suggested that for India Design Council, we should use InDeCo (or Indeco) as the acronym till the matter is resolved.

      So guys do refer to India Design Council as "Indeco' if you need to use the short form.

      A few task forces have been set up to collect and present studies on matters related to education and promotion of design.

      Meeting ended with another informal meeting amongst the CII-AIDI-PDF people present.
      I think Sunder or Satish should write about that meeting.

      regards

      Sudhir Sharma
      Designindia.
    • sundar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
        Hi Sudhir

        There was an air of getting down to do something about the proceedings of
        the Design Council. In the opening discussion itself it was clarified that
        the council sought to be innovative in decision making. In its discussion on
        education, it sought to be a body that assesses the state of education, but
        not a regulatory body. Everyone was heard, and the proceedings lasted 2
        hours.

        The discussion after the council between Anjan from CII and Satish, myself,
        with Sudhir and Ravi and Shrikant joining in at the initial stages cleared
        the air and clarified options. One option was to keep the IDA ( or whatever
        we call it ) as an organisation for designers, with honorary membership from
        industry and education in an advisory capacity. The second option was to
        form an organisation for design stakeholders, which includes education and
        industry along with designers as part of the governing body. We are to
        discuss and take a decision accordingly. Any thoughts on this are most
        welcome.

        regards
        Sundar

        On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Sudhir Sharma <sudhirelephant@...>wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > This is just my view of the meeting that happened yesterday at Mumbai and
        > not a official report of the India Design Council. I would request other
        > members of the Design Council who are Designindia members to share their
        > views as well.
        >
        > So, the first meeting rolled at Mahindra Towers, President Shri Anand
        > Mahindra conducted the meeting with Pradyumna Vyas (director NID) as the
        > secretary designate. The house was full (sorry, I didnt count the number)
        > with members and a few invitees.
        >
        > I am not sure if i can report all the proceedings, but can tell you that
        > India has a Design Council now, and it means business. Yes time for us
        > designers to feel good and also time for action. Mr. Anand Mahindra was cued
        > on to each and every topic discussed and decisions were taken with clarity.
        >
        > The name was discussed first. As IDC the name clashes with IDC that we
        > know...it was decided to see if it was possible to change the name, and if
        > it wasn't if we can find a new acronym. Ravi Pooviah from IDC suggested that
        > for India Design Council, we should use InDeCo (or Indeco) as the acronym
        > till the matter is resolved.
        >
        > So guys do refer to India Design Council as "Indeco' if you need to use the
        > short form.
        >
        > A few task forces have been set up to collect and present studies on
        > matters related to education and promotion of design.
        >
        > Meeting ended with another informal meeting amongst the CII-AIDI-PDF people
        > present.
        > I think Sunder or Satish should write about that meeting.
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Sudhir Sharma
        > Designindia.

      • A. Balasubramaniam
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
          Dear Sundar,

          This is great news that InDeCo is taking off..( I dont like the acronym but I can live with it..)
          Is there a detailed agenda that has been worked out? Considering the enormity of the task is the Council equipped with enough people?

          How can we contribute? Is there a place/position for volunteers? WOrking groups?

          Whom do you report to? Are you, at all expected to answer these queries or are you answerable only to the govt?

          Any politcians in the Council? Can we opt in Rahul Gandhi?

          Do let us know..
          Thanks and all the best for the take-off..

          A.Balasubramaniam

          NID -PD '86 batch

          Dean, IILM School of Design

          Principal Designer -January Design Consultancy

          --- In designindia@..., sundar <subramaniam.sundar@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sudhir
          >
          > There was an air of getting down to do something about the proceedings of
          > the Design Council. In the opening discussion itself it was clarified that
          > the council sought to be innovative in decision making. In its discussion on
          > education, it sought to be a body that assesses the state of education, but
          > not a regulatory body. Everyone was heard, and the proceedings lasted 2
          > hours.
          >
          > The discussion after the council between Anjan from CII and Satish, myself,
          > with Sudhir and Ravi and Shrikant joining in at the initial stages cleared
          > the air and clarified options. One option was to keep the IDA ( or whatever
          > we call it ) as an organisation for designers, with honorary membership from
          > industry and education in an advisory capacity. The second option was to
          > form an organisation for design stakeholders, which includes education and
          > industry along with designers as part of the governing body. We are to
          > discuss and take a decision accordingly. Any thoughts on this are most
          > welcome.
          >
          > regards
          > Sundar
          >
          > On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Sudhir Sharma <sudhirelephant@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > This is just my view of the meeting that happened yesterday at Mumbai and
          > > not a official report of the India Design Council. I would request other
          > > members of the Design Council who are Designindia members to share their
          > > views as well.
          > >
          > > So, the first meeting rolled at Mahindra Towers, President Shri Anand
          > > Mahindra conducted the meeting with Pradyumna Vyas (director NID) as the
          > > secretary designate. The house was full (sorry, I didnt count the number)
          > > with members and a few invitees.
          > >
          > > I am not sure if i can report all the proceedings, but can tell you that
          > > India has a Design Council now, and it means business. Yes time for us
          > > designers to feel good and also time for action. Mr. Anand Mahindra was cued
          > > on to each and every topic discussed and decisions were taken with clarity.
          > >
          > > The name was discussed first. As IDC the name clashes with IDC that we
          > > know...it was decided to see if it was possible to change the name, and if
          > > it wasn't if we can find a new acronym. Ravi Pooviah from IDC suggested that
          > > for India Design Council, we should use InDeCo (or Indeco) as the acronym
          > > till the matter is resolved.
          > >
          > > So guys do refer to India Design Council as "Indeco' if you need to use the
          > > short form.
          > >
          > > A few task forces have been set up to collect and present studies on
          > > matters related to education and promotion of design.
          > >
          > > Meeting ended with another informal meeting amongst the CII-AIDI-PDF people
          > > present.
          > > I think Sunder or Satish should write about that meeting.
          > >
          > > regards
          > >
          > > Sudhir Sharma
          > > Designindia.

        • sundar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
            Hi Bala

            I think the right person to answer all your queries on how you can
            contribute would be Pradyumna, as he is identifying the task forces to work
            on different areas. Sudhir and I are invitees for this meeting, but Satish
            is a full member of the council and would be present all through. The
            council is chaired by Mr Anand Mahindra and advises the department of
            industrial policy and promotion, which makes the decisions. No politicians
            on the council, but the composition represents different government bodies
            that are concerned,, along with industry members. To have more
            representation from industrial design and visual communication, Pradyumna
            had invited people like Sudhir and me for this meeting.

            regards
            Sundar

            On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM, A. Balasubramaniam <
            abalasubramaniam@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > know...it was decided to see if it was possible to change the name, and
            > if
            > > > it wasn't if we can find a new acronym. Ravi Pooviah from IDC suggested
            > that
            > > > for India Design Council, we should use InDeCo (or Indeco) as the
            > acronym
            > > > till the matter is resolved.
            > > >
            > > > So guys do refer to India Design Council as "Indeco' if you need to use
            > the
            > > > short form.
            > > >
            > > > A few task forces have been set up to collect and present studies on
            > > > matters related to education and promotion of design.
            > > >
            > > > Meeting ended with another informal meeting amongst the CII-AIDI-PDF
            > people
            > > > present.
            > > > I think Sunder or Satish should write about that meeting.

          • Dinesh Korjan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
              DCoI (di'koy)?

              dinesh korjan . studio korjan . ahmedabad

              On 19/Jun/09 6:23 PM, A. Balasubramaniam wrote:

              > This is great news that InDeCo is taking off..( I dont like the
              > acronym but I can live with it..)

            • V.K.JAGANNATHAN
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2009
                It is heartening to note that the Indian Design council gets into action with governmental fronts and departments and concerned institutions. Design as a business activity will get a right focus and presence and have weightage. If the action plans and current vision statement could be enlarged it will serve the larger audience and designers who stand to benefit from it.
                It has a very important role to play in design education and provide a platform for design promotion on a global scale. it will be nice if we can hear all the recommendations and suggestions.
                JAGS
                JAGS DRC,COIMBATORE
                Design for a change
              • Sagarmoy Paul
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 21, 2009
                  Agreed completely.
                  InDeCo also rhymes with Art Deco !
                  It will consolidate the notion that design is just decoration.

                  Also the 'Co' part makes it sound like a Company. There is also hidden
                  presence of IDC (capitals) in it, which IMHO should not be there.

                  The "Design Council of India" is the simplest and most obvious one, and
                  acronym � DCI is also uncomplicated and communicative.
                  It brings design to the forefront.

                  Cheers

                  Sagar
                  New Delhi

                  ------------------

                  On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Mayur Karnik <mayurkarnik@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >> not a regulatory body. Everyone was heard, and the proceedings lasted 2
                  > >> hours.
                  > >>
                  > >> The discussion after the council between Anjan from CII and Satish,
                  > >> myself,
                  > >> with Sudhir and Ravi and Shrikant joining in at the initial stages
                  > cleared
                  > >> the air and clarified options. One option was to keep the IDA ( or
                  > >> whatever
                  > >> we call it ) as an organisation for designers, with honorary membership
                  > >> from
                  > >> industry and education in an advisory capacity. The second option was to
                  > >> form an organisation for design stakeholders, which includes education
                  > and
                  > >> industry along with designers as part of the governing body. We are to
                  > >> discuss and take a decision accordingly. Any thoughts on this are most

                • Bala (Ticket Design)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 21, 2009
                    I agree with Sagar it should be simple
                    Design is anyways complex and miscommunicated many times let the name be simple and communicate effectively rather than build more layers to uncover what lies behind

                    I think as responsibls designers to remove as many layers as possible

                    regards
                    Bala
                    www.designticket.com
                    Sent from BlackBerry®

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2009
                      Design Council of India (DCI) sounds a better option than the rest. It also
                      brings a feel of authenticity to the organization..
                      Abhishek
                      New Media 2005 -07

                    • sumit
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 24, 2009
                        Sagar,

                        Had missed that point, good that you brought that up - (DCI) - "It brings
                        design to the forefront."

                        Regards,
                        Sumit
                        www.theleafdesign.com