Re: [designindia] ideas are worth nothing unless executed.

  • Soham Sarcar
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
      Agree! An idea is worth for what it is.. But has no value unless its
      executed... it cud remain just as an idea or a plan forever.

      Soham Sarkar

      --
      Soham Sarcar
      Mumbai

    • siddharth Dash
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
        Dear Soham,

        You can do a bad execution and do not reap any benefit
        of the idea. Someone else uses it to the hilt and
        reaps huge benefits. So how do you derive an idea's
        worth??

        Got my point? Basically it is a case of potential and
        not the real execution.

        Siddharth Dash
        AEP PD 1992
        Mumbai

        === message truncated ===

        http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
      • p.a.u.l
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
          Can anyone please enlighten us with few examples of great ideas...greatly executed by Indian designers ?
          So that we can make more sense out of this whole
          discussion of "useless ideas"

          Hope i'm not asking for too much !

          Paul Sandip
          Designer, NID
          09899302457

          ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

          === message truncated ===

        • Soham Sarcar
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
            Agreed Siddharth. But my point is, if the idea is brilliant then its
            execution should keep to its mark. An idea which is never executed is
            as good as caviar which is never served. It will rott in sometime. And even
            if the idea is executed by someone else its better than having it just on
            paper.

            Soham

            --
            Soham Sarcar
            Mumbai

          • siddharth Dash
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
              Hi Soham, can you please adhere to the mail end
              protocol of this group? It is for the benefit of all.

              I concur with you.

              Getting back to the source of this discussion, it is
              idea vs execution. My question is can an idea exist
              without its manifestation in terms of a drawing, a
              sketch, a model, a hypothesis, an algorithm, etc.?
              Isn't it sufficient that any of the above expressions
              of the idea forms the basis of its worth which an
              implementer buys for a price (patent, rights) and
              'executes' to his own advantage?

              Any inventor or originator of an idea normally uses
              one of the many ways (as above) to express his
              idea/invention which is proven (by prototyping,
              verified mathematically or statistically etc.). So any
              professional who wants an idea to be implemented would
              not call it an idea unless he himself is convinced and
              is able to prove. If this is a fair assumption should
              we feel guilty as idea generators that our ideas do
              not have 'market to be executed' hence no value? Do we
              not realise that our ideas if not executed in the
              factory and market place appropriately would reduce to
              null?

              Lot is said about execution globally. It is a dynamic
              and multidimensional problem which is felt through the
              organisation and leaderships are blamed for bad
              execution.

              Siddharth Dash
              AEP PD 1992 NID

              === message truncated ===

              http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
            • siddharth Dash
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
                Dear Sandeep,

                I sympathesise with you. But I am equally lost in
                terms of identifying from the indian environment a
                'good idea' which are 'greatly executed by indian
                designers'.

                Let us try to find/define a good idea first. Then see
                how it was executed by an 'indian designer'.

                Cheers,

                Siddharth Dash
                AEP PD 1992 NID
                Mumbai

                --- "p.a.u.l" <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone please enlighten us with few examples of
                > great ideas...greatly executed by Indian designers ?
                > So that we can make more sense out of this whole
                > discussion of "useless ideas"
                >
                > Hope i'm not asking for too much !
                >

                > Paul Sandip
                > Designer, NID
                > 09899302457

                ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

> [...]
                > > proof
                > > > enough for the opportunist that is the
                > > > entrepreneur/venture capitalist to take it
                > > further/buy
                > > > it or fund it. Business plan can be varied to
                > > achieve
                > > > whatever the the idea is used to achieve. Hence
                > > > irrespective of its final use/method of use a
                > > creative
                > > > idea/innovation is worth itself no matter
                > whether
                > > > implemented/executed or not.
                > > >
                > > > I would like to know whether 'execution' means
                > the
                > > > 'blueprint' of an idea? Like what is furnished
                > at
                > > the
                > > > patent office for availing intellectual
                > protection
                > > for
                > > > an invention? A business plan may well be a

                === message truncated ===

                http://in.answers.yahoo.com/
              • p.a.u.l
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Another useless idea !

                  I'm sorry... but couldn't help not replying to your explaination.

                  When you say -"Let us try to find/define a good idea first. Then see
                  how it was executed by an 'indian designer'."
                  i understand that we do not have any examples...leave aside good examples.

                  Suggest its high time we focus on design as an activity and not only as a topic of discussion.

                  Do i make sense?

                  Warm regards,

                  Paul Sandip
                  Designer, NID
                  09899302457

                  --- "p.a.u.l" <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone please enlighten us with few examples of
                  > great ideas...greatly executed by Indian designers ?
                  > So that we can make more sense out of this whole
                  > discussion of "useless ideas"
                  >
                  > Hope i'm not asking for too much !
                  >

                  > Paul Sandip
                  > Designer, NID
                  > 09899302457

                  ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

> [...]
                  > > proof
                  > > > enough for the opportunist that is the
                  > > > entrepreneur/venture capitalist to take it
                  > > further/buy
                  > > > it or fund it. Business plan can be varied to
                  > > achieve
                  > > > whatever the the idea is used to achieve. Hence
                  > > > irrespective of its final use/method of use a
                  > > creative
                  > > > idea/innovation is worth itself no matter
                  > whether
                  > > > implemented/executed or not.
                  > > >
                  > > > I would like to know whether 'execution' means
                  > the
                  > > > 'blueprint' of an idea? Like what is furnished
                  > at
                  > > the
                  > > > patent office for availing intellectual
                  > protection
                  > > for
                  > > > an invention? A business plan may well be a

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

                • Mayur Karnik
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Himalaya Drug Company Branding? It's brought Ayurveda back to its rightful
                    place, besides the 30% or whatever increase in sales. I think the idea
                    should be good and should be well executed (in this case getting all the
                    retail/logistics support)... Dont kill an idea, execute it... as they say.
                    Idea/Execution - neither is more important than the other, but both depend
                    on each other's quality for producing meaning.

                    Mayur

                    On 9/1/06, p.a.u.l <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote:

                    > Another useless idea !
                    >
                    > I'm sorry... but couldn't help not replying to your explaination.
                    >
                    > When you say -"Let us try to find/define a good idea first. Then see
                    > how it was executed by an 'indian designer'."
                    > i understand that we do not have any examples...leave aside good
                    > examples.
                    >
                    > Suggest its high time we focus on design as an activity and not only as
                    > a topic of discussion.
                    >
                    > Do i make sense?
                    >
                    > Warm regards,
                    >
                    > Paul Sandip
                    > Designer, NID
                    > 09899302457

                  • prakashunakal
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Dear Friends,

                      After looking at evolution of discussion of thread "about design in
                      India (no pun intended) as" Hmm,... great story attached to a
                      product, but poor execution....but the so
                      called richness in conceptualization" to "ideas are worth nothing
                      unless executed" to eventually "useless idea".

                      Following communication story would enlighten how verbal communication
                      evolves and engulfs the original intent :

                      ************************

                      From : Managing Director
                      To : Executive Director

                      "Tomorrow morning there will be a total eclipse of the sun at nine
                      o'clock. This is something which we cannot see everyday. So let the
                      work-force line up outside, in their best clothes to watch it. To mark
                      the occasion of this rare occurrence, I will personally explain the
                      phenomenon to them. If it is raining we will not be able to see it
                      very well and in that case the work force should assemble in the canteen."

                      From : Executive Director
                      To : Departmental Head

                      "By order of the Managing Director, there will be a total eclipse of
                      the sun at nine o' clock tomorrow morning. If it is raining we will
                      not be able to see it in our best clothes, on the site. In this case
                      the disappearance of the sun will be followed through in the canteen.
                      This is something we cannot see happening everyday."

                      From : Departmental Heads
                      To : Sectional Heads

                      "By order of the Managing Director, we shall follow the disappearance
                      of the sun in our best clothes, in the canteen at nine o'clock
                      tomorrow morning. The Managing Director will tell us whether it is
                      going to rain. This is something which we cannot see happen everyday."

                      From : Section Heads
                      To : Foreman

                      "If it is raining in the canteen tomorrow morning, which is something
                      that we cannot see happen everyday, the Managing director in his best
                      clothes, will disappear at nine o' clock."

                      From : Foreman
                      To : All Operators

                      "Tomorrow morning at nine o' clock, the Managing Director will
                      disappear. It's a pity that we can't see this happen everyday"
                      Cheers !

                      Prakash Unakal
                      IDC1989-91

                      <prakashunakal@y...> wrote:

                      > Dear All,
                      > I think we designers are good in thought process/philosophy'ing !!
                      Every thing under the sun we will convert in mental excercise whether
                      it is definition of design or any other issue...
                      > we tend to be more of thinkers and less of doer..but look around us
                      all our role models are doers very few have been thinker alone be it
                      in art or science.
                      > here are few line i thought i would share with group :
                      >
                      > It's so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas.
                      (People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.)

                      > To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed.
                      > They are just a multiplier.
                      > Execution is worth millions.
                      >
                      > Explanation:
                      > AWFUL IDEA = -1
                      > WEAK IDEA = 1
                      > SO-SO IDEA = 5
                      > GOOD IDEA = 10
                      > GREAT IDEA = 15
                      > BRILLIANT IDEA = 20
                      >
                      > NO EXECUTION = $1
                      > WEAK EXECUTION = $1000
                      > SO-SO- EXECUTION = $10,000
                      > GOOD EXECUTION = $100,000
                      > GREAT EXECUTION = $1,000,000
                      > BRILLIANT EXECUTION = $10,000,000
                      >
                      > To make a business, you need to multiply the two.
                      >
                      > The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20.
                      > The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.
                      >
                      > -by Derek Sivers
                      >

                      > Prof.Prakash Unakal
                      > IDC 1989-91
                      > MSRamaiah - Head Product Design Centre
                      >
                      > --- In designindia@..., Subhedar Prashant
                      <dedanadan@y...> wrote:

                      > > Dear All,
                      > >
                      > > > Dear All,
                      > > >
                      > > > I received an article from my friend ...
                      > > >

                      > > Interesting article and many thanks to Vidyadhar for
                      > > posting it at this time. It appears that time (in
                      > > terms of advancement of the profession) and place no
                      > > longer seem to prevent the concerns of professionals
                      > > from mirroring each other.
                      > >
                      > > There is an ongoing debate on what is design on this
                      > > list as you must know. Thinking aloud, should we not
                      > > wonder on what are design skills as opposed to what is
                      > > design itself. Many a times I have received feedback
                      > > from overseas prospects about design in India (no pun
                      > > intended) as" Hmm,... great story attached to a
                      > > product, but poor execution." What they do not mean is
                      > > the build of the product (hampered by cost and
                      > > technical knowledge ability concerns), but the so
                      > > called richness in conceptualization.
                      > >
                      > > The same people tend to mention the relevance of
                      > > Modern Chinese/Taiwanese and Korean designs as "
                      > > Superbly executed, rich concepts, but poor/no story".
                      > > Perhaps in our scenario, wouldn't anybody be led to
                      > > think, we overemphasize on "Philosophy" and underrate
                      > > design skills.
                      > >
                      > > Thinking aloud my 10p worth.
                      > >
                      > > Prashant Subhedar
                      > > MDes IDDC IITD-1998
                      > > Bang Design Pvt Ltd
                      > > www.bang.co.in

                    • p.a.u.l
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Dear All,
                        Off late we have been discussing a lot about design…trying to find examples of good design …good execution…etc...etc…
                        I have a suggestion…
                        Why don’t we begin with identifying Bad designs around us?
                        To begin with, I would like you to see the following link :
                        http://differentialdesign.blogspot.com/2006/04/bad-design.html

                        Regards,
                        Paul Sandip
                        Designer,NID
                        Contact : 09899302457

                      • we design

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                            Sandip

                            Nice to see a simple solution at physical level thought by you. I am not sure if any printer has a solution to this problem you have pointed out. I mean there might be; since you have faced it, chances are someone thoughtful as you may have already faced it before you. I think the fun in design is how people come out with different solutions to the same problem as and when they face it for the first time. I feel to achieve a good solution is a constant challenge for us designers and hence finding a good design or a bad one is highly subjective to time, ethnography, culture, emerging trends etc.

                            I could think of an immediate solution after I read the problem you have pointed out:

                            Since the length and the width of the paper roll is predetermined by the manufacturer, this info could be codified into the roll. When it is docked to the printer, the software of the printer takes this information and keeps a track of how much paper has been used. This info can easily be presented through the interface of the printer/ computer.

                            So, in a worst case, the printer can let you know if you can take a continuous print before you fire the plot. In that case you may not have to move from your seat till the computer tells you that the print job is complete! A more precise solution with feedback can hence be achieved at both hardware and software level too.

                            Technology is just a tool to play with. What we need to encash on is a really smart idea.

                            Suggestions or solutions anyone?

                            Regards
                            Dyutiman

                            "p.a.u.l" <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote:
                            Dear All,
                            Off late we have been discussing a lot about design…trying to find examples of good design …good execution…etc...etc…
                            I have a suggestion…
                            Why don’t we begin with identifying Bad designs around us?
                            To begin with, I would like you to see the following link :
                            http://differentialdesign.blogspot.com/2006/04/bad-design.html

                            Regards,
                            Paul Sandip
                            Designer,NID
                            Contact : 09899302457

                          • Dinesh Korjan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                              you can't have a straight forward scale as the dia keeps changing. it
                              would be simpler to ... (ha ha can't disclose now)
                              dinesh korjan . studio korjan . ahmedabad (nid pd 1976)

                              Dyutiman Moulik wrote:
                              > Sandip
                              >
                              > Nice to see a simple solution at physical level thought by you. I am
                              > not sure if any printer has a solution to this problem you have
                              > pointed out. I mean there might be; since you have faced it, chances
                              > are someone thoughtful as you may have already faced it before you. I
                              > think the fun in design is how people come out with different
                              > solutions to the same problem as and when they face it for the first
                              > time. I feel to achieve a good solution is a constant challenge for us
                              > designers and hence finding a good design or a bad one is highly
                              > subjective to time, ethnography, culture, emerging trends etc.

                            • sisir
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                i agree with the idea of Sandip that we should first start analysing things around us, not only bad designs but also designs which were part of our life till date particularly Indian ones. or may be products which are adopted for a different cause. This might lead to better understanding of the how products are used in India (Indian prospect).

                                Sandip's 'Disposable Mug', and Design direction's 'SOLEMATES' are two perfect examples. a familiar task seen through a designers eye given birth to a award winning product. we need more products that reflect Indianness or fulfilling Indian need.

                                hope i made my point..

                                sisir

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  Dinesh

                                  Point taken. But the reducing diameter of the paper roll in use does not really matter! The length of the paper used can be tracked by a sensor (which measures distance of paper travelled) placed alongside the moving printing head! More suggestions?

                                  In the meantime Sandip, I have an interesting link for you if you may not have already come across it: http://www.baddesigns.com

                                  Cheers,
                                  Dyutiman Moulik
                                  Industrial Designer
                                  GDPD, NID [Graduating Year 2003]
                                  Bangalore
                                  [M] +919845213283

                                  Dyutiman Moulik wrote:
                                  > Sandip
                                  >
                                  > Nice to see a simple solution at physical level thought by you. I am
                                  > not sure if any printer has a solution to this problem you have
                                  > pointed out. I mean there might be; since you have faced it, chances
                                  > are someone thoughtful as you may have already faced it before you. I
                                  > think the fun in design is how people come out with different
                                  > solutions to the same problem as and when they face it for the first
                                  > time. I feel to achieve a good solution is a constant challenge for us
                                  > designers and hence finding a good design or a bad one is highly
                                  > subjective to time, ethnography, culture, emerging trends etc.

                                • Saikat Biswas
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 8, 2006
                                    Dyutiman

                                    Your solution is good only if the paper roll is used continuously till it gets finished...but what happens if the rolls are changed several times, which is mostly the case for this kind of plotter to get different types of prints (matt, glossy etc.).

                                    Thanks for the baddesign.com link.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Saikat

                                    Saikat Biswas,
                                    Industrial Designer
                                    GDPD (2001-2005/06), NID
                                    Bangalore.

                                    Dyutiman Moulik <dyutimanmoulik@...> wrote: Dinesh

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 8, 2006
                                      Saikat,

                                      You are absolutely right !

                                      Thats the reason why i suggested a calliberation on the spindle which would only give an approx. idea about amount/length of paper left...which is sufficiant enough to decide whether or not to shoot a print.

                                      Would request the group to come up with more of such situations / design errors
                                      which we can discuss and eventually try to solve.

                                      Regards,

                                      Paul Sandip
                                      Designer, NID
                                      Contact : 09899302457

                                      ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                                      Dyutiman Moulik wrote:
                                      > Sandip
                                      >
                                      > Nice to see a simple solution at physical level thought by you. I am
                                      > not sure if any printer has a solution to this problem you have
                                      > pointed out. I mean there might be; since you have faced it, chances
                                      > are someone thoughtful as you may have already faced it before you. I
                                      > think the fun in design is how people come out with different
                                      > solutions to the same problem as and when they face it for the first
                                      > time. I feel to achieve a good solution is a constant challenge for us
                                      > designers and hence finding a good design or a bad one is highly
                                      > subjective to time, ethnography, culture, emerging trends etc.

                                    • deepankar bhattacharyya
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 8, 2006
                                        nice problem, Paul

                                        another way of looking at it is from the point of weight of paper. papers are usually in grammes per sq mtr or gsm. given the weight of spindle, the width of roll and the gsm of paper it should be possible to precisely calculate remaining length of paper remaining on spindle.

                                        e.g
                                        if wt of spindle = x gms
                                        200 gsm paper with width of paper being 1mtr translates to remaining length of 1 mtr if total weight measured is 200+x gms

                                        running out of paper is a hassle when you are running a big job and find yourself in trouble at the end so one presumably needs a margin of (let's say 1/3m), which even in 100 gsm paper would approximate 30 gms, an easily measurable quantity requiring little accuracy, measurement can be calibrated to treat this figure as default 0. and one can then err, if one must, on the safer side.

                                        regards

                                        Deepankar Bhattacharyya
                                        Images Communications
                                        NID 1970-76

                                        "p.a.u.l" <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote: Saikat,

                                        Dyutiman Moulik wrote:
                                        > Sandip
                                        >
                                        > Nice to see a simple solution at physical level thought by you. I am
                                        > not sure if any printer has a solution to this problem you have
                                        > pointed out. I mean there might be; since you have faced it, chances
                                        > are someone thoughtful as you may have already faced it before you. I
                                        > think the fun in design is how people come out with different
                                        > solutions to the same problem as and when they face it for the first
                                        > time. I feel to achieve a good solution is a constant challenge for us
                                        > designers and hence finding a good design or a bad one is highly
                                        > subjective to time, ethnography, culture, emerging trends etc.

                                      • abhijeet rokade
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 8, 2006
                                          Hi Sandeep,
                                          Just an idea... without giving much thought...
                                          Why cant simply a countdown be printed on the back
                                          side of the prinatble surface... 10...9...8...7...6...

                                          considering that you can see the back side of the
                                          paper by flipping/ bending down and seeing...

                                          Abhijeet Rokade
                                          IDC 2003-05
                                          09881314255

                                          --- "p.a.u.l" <dreamer_worldin@...> wrote:

                                          > Dear All,
                                          > Off late we have been discussing a lot about
                                          > design…trying to find examples of good design …good
                                          > execution…etc...etc…
                                          > I have a suggestion…
                                          > Why don’t we begin with identifying Bad designs
                                          > around us?
                                          > To begin with, I would like you to see the
                                          > following link :

                                          http://differentialdesign.blogspot.com/2006/04/bad-design.html

                                          > Regards,
                                          > Paul Sandip
                                          > Designer,NID
                                          > Contact : 09899302457

                                          > removed]

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Dyutiman Moulik
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 10, 2006
                                            Saikat

                                            The solution which I mentioned previously still holds good for any number or kinds or brands of paper rolls that you use or change. Remember I mentioned previously that the paper roll is 'codified' by the manufacturer and is 'read' by the printer.

                                            To make it more clear I'll help you to think in these lines:
                                            A DVD player still recognises where a particular DVD was last played if it is suddenly switched off from the mains. It does this for any number of DVDs and also for VCDs. Right? What does the player in this case need to do this? A simple memory that is randomly accessed and processed. Now, if I say that 'the player to many DVDs' is 'the printer to many paper rolls!'

                                            Not revealing any further of what's cooking on my mind :D

                                            You can approach this problem in many ways, from product level to system level...
                                            .
                                            By the way, you're in Bangalore too. Give me a ring sometime..Cheers!