Re: [hydrologymodel] Need guidance

  • Shyam D Shukla
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2009
      Dear friend

      This field of water management requires mainly civil engg. background or at least Environment/ oGeology or hydrogeology. The use of higher level maths is needed for advance model developement area. It is too late too enter in this field.

      By
      S D Shukla

      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2009
        Dear friend,

        I know Prof Roland Price (http://www.unesco-ihe.org/About/Academic-departments/Hydroinformatics-and-Knowledge-Management/Staff-Information), Professor of Hydroinformatics at UNESCO-IHE Delft. His educational Qualification (copied from webpage mentioned):
        Educational Qualifications:

        BA Mathematics Tripos Part II - University of Cambridge 1963 (Wrangler - 1st Class Honours)

        Mathematics Tripos Part III - University of Cambridge (1964).

        MA - University of Cambridge (1965).

        PhD Mathematics - University of Essex (1969)

        So, it is not impossible, but will take your time and dedicated efforts.

        All the best

        With Best Regards,

        Ashoke Basistha
        Lecturer,
        Department of Natural Resources,
        TERI University,
        10, Institutional Area,
        Vasant Kunj,
        New Delhi- 110 070.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2009
          Aditi,

          Happy to see your mail and some posts on the same by group colleagues.

          Where there is a will there is a way. A mathematician with practical outlook can do any thing with his knowlwedge. I feel you can also contribute in the water management arena provided you understand and learn some of the underlying processes along with inputs and outputs. So, I advise you read some standard books.

          Pl go through the books on 1. "Applied Hydrology" by Ven Te chow, David R Maidment, Larry W Mays, Publisher: McGraw-Hill; 2. "Hydrology in practice" by Elizbeth M Shaw, Publisher: Chapman & Hall; 3.  "Hydrology and flood plain Analysis" by Philip B Bedient & Wayne C Huber, Publisher Addison Wesley; 4. "Water Resources Systems" by S Vedula and P P Majumdar, Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill. Based on your area of specilization in Mathematics and Computers you can develope your skills and venture into apprpriate water management aspects whether it is water resources management or water quality management.

          All the best

          S.V.Vijaya Kumar

          National Institute of Hydrology,
          Deltaic Regional Centre, Siddartha Nagar, Kakinada 533003
          Andhra Pradesh, India

          Email: vkumarsv@..., vkumarsv@..., vkumarsv@...
        • Aditi Deodhar
          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2009
            Hello Sir,

            Thank you very much for your reply. It is very encouraging.

            I really peruse this subject and I am ready to do all the hard work required
            for it.

            Thank you very much.

            Regards,
            Aditi

            On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM, ashoke basistha
            <basistha_ashoke@...>wrote:

            > Dear friend,
            >
            > I know Prof Roland Price (
            > http://www.unesco-ihe.org/About/Academic-departments/Hydroinformatics-and-Knowledge-Management/Staff-Information), Professor
            > of Hydroinformatics at UNESCO-IHE Delft. His educational Qualification
            > (copied from webpage mentioned):
            > Educational Qualifications:
            >
            > BA Mathematics Tripos Part II - University of Cambridge 1963 (Wrangler -
            > 1st Class Honours)
            >
            > Mathematics Tripos Part III - University of Cambridge (1964).
            >
            > MA - University of Cambridge (1965).
            >
            > PhD Mathematics - University of Essex (1969)
            >
            > So, it is not impossible, but will take your time and dedicated efforts.
            >
            > All the best
            >
            > With Best Regards,
            >
            > Ashoke Basistha
            > Lecturer,
            > Department of Natural Resources,
            > TERI University,
            > 10, Institutional Area,
            > Vasant Kunj,
            > New Delhi- 110 070.
            >
            > --- On Fri, 5/15/09, Aditi Deodhar <deodhar.a@...<deodhar.a%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Aditi Deodhar <deodhar.a@... <deodhar.a%40gmail.com>>
            > Subject: [hydrologymodel] Need guidance
            > To: hydrologymodel@... <hydrologymodel%40yahoogroups.co.in>
            > Date: Friday, May 15, 2009, 1:08 PM
            >
            > Hello Friends,
            >
            > I want a word of advice from you.
            >
            > I am a post-graduate in Mathematics and I have worked in in IT for 6 years.
            >
            > I wish to do something in the area of "Water Management" where my
            > Mathematics knowledge would be useful. With that view I joined this group.
            >
            > Right now I really don't have any idea as to how to go about it.
            >
            > Can you provide me any clue or guidance ?
            >
            > I am sorry if I am causing any inconvenience, but I really didn't know who
            > to turn to, since you all are working in this area, I thought would ask
            > you.
            >
            > Thanking you,
            >
            > Regards,
            > Aditi.
          • Aditi Deodhar
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24, 2009
              Hello Sir,

              Thank you very much for your reply.

              I am reading some books to understand basics of hydrological cycle and
              hydrological modeling and time series analysis etc.I will surely read the
              books you have mentioned.

              Thanks very much once again.

              Regards,
              Aditi.

              On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:58 AM, S V Vijayakumar <vkumarsv@...> wrote:

              > Aditi,
              >
              > Happy to see your mail and some posts on the same by group colleagues.
              >
              > Where there is a will there is a way. A mathematician with practical
              > outlook can do any thing with his knowlwedge. I feel you can also contribute
              > in the water management arena provided you understand and learn some of the
              > underlying processes along with inputs and outputs. So, I advise you read
              > some standard books.
              >
              > Pl go through the books on 1. "Applied Hydrology" by Ven Te chow, David R
              > Maidment, Larry W Mays, Publisher: McGraw-Hill; 2. "Hydrology in practice"
              > by Elizbeth M Shaw, Publisher: Chapman & Hall; 3. "Hydrology and flood
              > plain Analysis" by Philip B Bedient & Wayne C Huber, Publisher Addison
              > Wesley; 4. "Water Resources Systems" by S Vedula and P P Majumdar,
              > Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill. Based on your area of specilization in
              > Mathematics and Computers you can develope your skills and venture
              > into apprpriate water management aspects whether it is water resources
              > management or water quality management.
              >
              > All the best
              >
              > S.V.Vijaya Kumar
              >
              > National Institute of Hydrology,
              > Deltaic Regional Centre, Siddartha Nagar, Kakinada 533003
              > Andhra Pradesh, India
              >
              > Email: vkumarsv@... <vkumarsv%40yahoo.com>, vkumarsv@...<vkumarsv%40hotmail.com>,
              > vkumarsv@... <vkumarsv%40gmail.com>
            • elangovan9
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 2009
                From

                Dr K Elangovan
                Assistant Professor
                Department of Civil Engineering
                PSG College of Technology
                Coimbatore 641 004
                E-Mail: elangovan2k@...
                Cell No. 9443823401

                Dear Sir/Madam

                We are conducting a two day training program on Open Source GIS during August 29-30, 2009, for the benefit of Academicians, Researchers and Industry persons.

                GIS is being used widely in the field of Civil Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Environment, Ecology, Ocean Engg., Geology, Geography, Forestry, Agriculture, Utilities management, Mining, Disaster mitigation etc.,

                Since licensed GIS softwares are costly, Open Source GIS will be used widely in near future. Practical Training will be given on Quantum GIS and participants will be given CD of Quantum GIS software, training manual. After the completion of this training, the participants could create their own GIS datasets for their applications. Course Fee is Rs. 3000/- per participant. Demand Draft should be drawn in favour of PSGCNCE payable at Coimbatore. No TA/DA will be provided. Hostel/Hotel accommodation will be arranged based on request.

                I herewith attach the information brochure for your kind perusal. Kindly contact me for further enquiries, if any.

                Thanking you
                Yours Sincerely
                Dr K Elangovan