Re: " MEHMOOD - A Man of Many Moods " - Chapter 17

  • panchambuff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      This is certainly a MUST READ. Best writeup. Only one small error.
      It is mentioned that Rajesh Khanna was apprehensive about Sanjeev
      after "Aap ki kasam" & therefore not ready to work with him in Anand
      is wrong.
      Aap ki kasam came much later.
      Parag.

      --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "manishw" <manishw@y...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > > overjoyed. Amitabh advised him to sign the writer duo
      > > Salim-Javed.
      > > Anwar managed to get Amitabh to work for him without a
      > > signing amount but Salim-JavedÂ's price was so high it
      > > was impossible for Anwar to pay. When Amitabh found
      > > that Salim-Javed had asked for Rs five lakhs as the
      > > signing amount for the film he went and spoke to
      > > another writer, Kader Khan. Anwar then met Kadar and
      > > thatÂ's how the film Â"KhuddarÂ" was started.
      > > Perhaps on the recommendations of Amitabh, Rekha was
      > > to play the role of a Maharashtrian woman while Ravi
      > > Tandon was to be the director. But the romance of
      > > Amitabh and Rekha was a hot topic among the film
      > > journals and columns. Anwar and his family were very
      > > close both to Amitabh and his wife Jaya. AnwarÂ's
      > > brother-in-law had even made the film Â"NaukerÂ" with
      > > Jaya. Anwar somehow managed to keep Rekha out of the
      > > film and instead signed Parveen Babi. As a result the
      > > character of the Maharashtrian woman was changed to
      > > that of an Anglo-Indian woman because Parveen looked
      > > like one.
      > > Anwar had signed elder brother Mehmood too for the
      > > film for which Mehmood was paid his full price.
      > > Amitabh on the other hand took only Rs nine lakh from
      > > Anwar when his market price then was in the vicinity
      > > of RS 20 lakhs.
      > > But the film ran into trouble. First because of lack
      > > of finance and then because of Parveen Babi who
      > > abandoned the project midway. Parveen had become an
      > > ardent follower of Rajneesh who was later to be known
      > > as Osho, a spiritual guru who had his ashram in Pune.
      > > Anwar was in deep financial crisis but Mehmood did not
      > > help him. He then took the help of F K Rattonsey,
      > > making him his partner, and completed the film.
      > > Despite such a long association though, it appears
      > > that Mehmood and Amitabh have parted ways emotionally
      > > and no longer in touch with each other. One of the
      > > reasons was a strange affinity that was building up
      > > between Zubaida, MehmoodÂ's sister and Amitabh.
      > > Zubaida, a widow and mother of two children, was
      > > attracted to the young, pleasant and soft-spoken
      > > Amitabh. According to some members of the Ali family
      > > the relationship was threatening to get more intimate
      > > than just friendship and AmitabhÂ's family was quick to
      > > react and pull him out of the situation before it got
      > > complicated.
      > > According to Anwar Ali, Mehmood was largely
      > > responsible for the parting of ways between the two.
      > > Â"One should not tom-tom oneÂ's benevolence. So what if
      > > you helped someone? What is the need to go around
      > > telling everybody about it?Â" asks Anwar. It is to
      > > AmitabhÂ's credit that he has remained noncommittal on
      > > the entire issue so far.
      > > END OF CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

      > ~->
      > >
      > > # April 2005 > Ms SMITA MANOHAR < Winner as " CONTRIBUTOR OF THE
      > MONTH "
      > > # March 2005 > Shri DEVENDRA AHER < Winner as " CONTRIBUTOR OF
      THE
      > MONTH "
      > > # February 2005 > Shri VISHWESH PETKAR < Winner as " CONTRIBUTOR
      OF
      > THE MONTH "
      > > # January 2005 > Shri ANAND BHATKHANDE < winner for Best " MAIL
      OF