Re: [sangeet_ke_sitare] New moderator

  • Priya
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
      >Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if so,
      a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
      moderating SKS.

      GRRRRRR!!!!!! Did I say anything about quitting?????????? FYI I apparently
      'own' the grp. ;)))))
      Ritu is our new moderator. The old ones stay. :))

      >Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
      Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
      Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
      Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
      Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink

      Ah!!!!! Kaan taras gaye the yeh words of wisdom sunne ko!!!! ;)
    • Samik
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
        Its good that Madame P. is back after such a long absence.We were
        almost tempted to sing: 'P been suna jee '

        And Ritu, congrats. Going by your SDB website, you are very well
        suited for this job.
        Wineji Zindabaad ! And hats off to
        Paan-wala budhha, too !! :)
        Samik

        --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "Priya" <priya268@g...>
        wrote:
        > >Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if
        so,
        > a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
        > moderating SKS.
        >

        > GRRRRRR!!!!!! Did I say anything about quitting?????????? FYI I
        apparently
        > 'own' the grp. ;)))))
        > Ritu is our new moderator. The old ones stay. :))
        >
        > >Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
        > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
        > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
        > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
        > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
        >

        > Ah!!!!! Kaan taras gaye the yeh words of wisdom sunne ko!!!! ;)
      • hfm_zindabaad
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
          "You forgot Anand Bakshi :)!"

          Yes, Ritu, saving the best for the last:

          I love Anand Bakshi
          I love Anand Bakshi
          I love Anand Bakshi
          I love Anand Bakshi
          I love Anand Bakshi

          I don't think much of Jaidev
          I don't think much of Jaidev
          I don't think much of Jaidev
          I don't think much of Jaidev
          I don't think much of Jaidev

          Cheers...! Will see ya next week.

          Robin

          --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "ritusks" <ritusks@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "hfm_zindabaad"
          > <hfm_zindabaad@y...> wrote:
          > > Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if
          > so,
          > > a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
          > > moderating SKS.
          >
          > No Robin Bhai... Priya is NOT quitting. She's the best we have.
          And I
          > am certainly not taking over. Where did this idea come up from?
          But
          > yes, if Priya needs help with some housekeeping I would be glad to
          > pitch in as much as I can. But Priya and Ummer should remain the
          flag-
          > bearing moderators. And really...Priya's sense of fairness and
          cool-
          > headedness never fails to impress me. I am too hot-headed to do
          any
          > genuine moderation. So I would want Priya to go on as would
          everyone
          > else on the group.
          >

          > > S. D. Burman is the best
          > > S. D. Burman is the best
          > > S. D. Burman is the best
          > > S. D. Burman is the best
          > > S. D. Burman is the best
          >
          > That he is. Btw, you forgot Dev Anand!
          >

          > > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
          > > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
          > > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
          > > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
          > > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
          > >

          > You forgot Anand Bakshi :)!
          >
          > Cheers
          > Ritu
        • Satish Kalra
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
            While I can't agree with the S.D. Burman part, I do about L-P, but I won't go so far as to use the word "stink".  They do have some good, really good, numbers to their credit, esp./mostly in their early career.   :-)

            Satish Kalra

            hfm_zindabaad <hfm_zindabaad@...> wrote:
            Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if so,
            a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
            moderating SKS.

            Ritu will make an excellent moderator, if she is really going to
            take up this tough task. Ritu, you and I get into some furious
            points of contention, but all kidding aside, you really are a
            balanced and knowledgable HFM expert. Even if I sometimes disagree
            with your viewpoints violently, it is a treat to read your posts.

            So, from today -

            S. D. Burman is the best
            S. D. Burman is the best
            S. D. Burman is the best
            S. D. Burman is the best
            S. D. Burman is the best

            Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
            Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
            Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
            Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
            Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink

            Cheers!

            <priya268@g...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi friends,
            > > Cheers to our new moderator Ritu!!!!!! Congrats Ritu!!!!! :)
            > > Guess sks will now mean Sachin ka Sangeet. :((
            >
            > abbe oh!.. what is this???
            >
            > Have I missed something. P Dear you can't wriggle out of what is
            > essentially yours. No one can take your place. One threat from you
            > and everyone is back scrambling to SKS :)
            >
            > Cheers
            > Ritu
            >
            > P.S I would change it to 'Sachinda ka Sangeet'... just to specify
            > which Sachin it is. For I know you have ulterior motives in
            > suggesting 'Sachin' ;)
            >
            > P.S-2 Robin Bhai... I will get back to your post in good time I
            had
            > forwarded it to my office account to reply but did not get a
            second
            > yesterday and don't think I'll get one today either. But I shall
            come
            > back :)

          • hfm_zindabaad
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
              Satishji,

              To say 'Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink' is the equivalent of throwing red
              meat to the ferocious lions of Hindi film music listeners :)

              IMO, they had 'good, really good numbers to their credit' all the
              way up to at least till Rafi passed away and a ton of songs after
              that with Kavita, Suresh Wadkar, the Udhas brothers, Manhar, many a
              Kishore, some Lata gems and some Amit Kumar.

              In general - and not specific to your post - its just a tolerance
              level for the style of music, arrangements, tunes, singers, etc.
              Music in the style of the 1950s/60s would simply not be acceptable
              to the financier or the market. It is obsolete today, in terms of
              marketability. Though of course we know there are tens of millions
              of adherants for it, including you, me and everyone at SKS, with
              good reason.

              But things move on, and if were able to countenance and accept the
              new, there may be much enjoyment to be had in the newer songs. (If
              not, that's okay too)

              Good example is Waqt's 'subaha ho gi, shyam ho gi'. Fresh song, made
              in 2005 and hopefully not stolen outright from some calypso album by
              Anu Malik.

              Regards..Robin

              --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., Satish Kalra

              Service.
            • Satish Kalra
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
                Robinji:

                It is not that I don't like them all the time.  Compositions like "ruk jaa ai hawaa..." (Shagird); "raam kare aisaa ho jaay..." (Milan); "ik pyaar ka naghmaa hai..." (Shor), are all evergreens.  The numbers I like are all which don't have their standard/predictable dholak/tablaa beats.  I think those came (?) from their assistants, rather their brothers, Shashikant and Gorakh.   But even in the later years, when they have a good composition and moved away to different beats, one can like them.

                You are right, though, about the fact that I, broguht up on the music style of the 40's and the 50's, would not find much likeable in the 90's and later.  The only exception so far has been Chameli last year.

                <skalra0902@y...> wrote:
                > While I can't agree with the S.D. Burman part, I do about L-P, but
                I won't go so far as to use the word "stink".  They do have some
                good, really good, numbers to their credit, esp./mostly in their
                early career.   :-)

                > Satish Kalra
                >
                > hfm_zindabaad <hfm_zindabaad@y...> wrote:
                > Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if
                so,
                > a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
                > moderating SKS.
                >
                > Ritu will make an excellent moderator, if she is really going to
                > take up this tough task. Ritu, you and I get into some furious
                > points of contention, but all kidding aside, you really are a
                > balanced and knowledgable HFM expert. Even if I sometimes disagree
                > with your viewpoints violently, it is a treat to read your posts.
                >
                > So, from today -
                >
                > S. D. Burman is the best
                > S. D. Burman is the best
                > S. D. Burman is the best
                > S. D. Burman is the best
                > S. D. Burman is the best
                >
                > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                >

                > Cheers!
                >

                > Robin
                >

                > --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "ritusks"
                <ritusks@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "priya"
                > <priya268@g...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hi friends,
                > > > Cheers to our new moderator Ritu!!!!!! Congrats Ritu!!!!! :)
                > > > Guess sks will now mean Sachin ka Sangeet. :((
                > >
                > > abbe oh!.. what is this???
                > >
                > > Have I missed something. P Dear you can't wriggle out of what is
                > > essentially yours. No one can take your place. One threat from
                you
                > > and everyone is back scrambling to SKS :)
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Ritu
                > >
                > > P.S I would change it to 'Sachinda ka Sangeet'... just to
                specify
                > > which Sachin it is. For I know you have ulterior motives in
                > > suggesting 'Sachin' ;)
                > >
                > > P.S-2 Robin Bhai... I will get back to your post in good time I
                > had
                > > forwarded it to my office account to reply but did not get a
                > second
                > > yesterday and don't think I'll get one today either. But I shall
                > come
                > > back :)

                Service.

              • hfm_zindabaad
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Satishji,

                  Chameli - now that was quite a film. I don't remember the track
                  numbers but the opening song was lovely. The one I really liked was
                  Kareena's raindance song. Perfectly fitted to bring out the natural
                  exuberance of a member of the Kapoor family. She took a huge risk in
                  this film and came off with flying colors.

                  Between ARR - Shanker-Ehsaan-Loy - Ismail Durbar - M.M. Kreem and
                  (erratically off-and-on Anu Malik and Nadeem-Shravan), there is a
                  lot to be had. But for sure, this is not the age of Talat or Geeta
                  Dutt or Rafi or Kishore or Mukesh or Hemant Kumar.

                  <skalra0902@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > > --- In sangeet_ke_sitare@..., "priya"
                  > > <priya268@g...>
                  > > >
                  > > > abbe oh!.. what is this???
                  > > >
                  > > > Have I missed something. P Dear you can't wriggle out of what
                  is
                  > > > essentially yours. No one can take your place. One threat from
                  > you
                  > > > and everyone is back scrambling to SKS :)
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers
                  > > > Ritu
                  > > >
                  > > > P.S I would change it to 'Sachinda ka Sangeet'... just to
                  > specify
                  > > > which Sachin it is. For I know you have ulterior motives in
                  > > > suggesting 'Sachin' ;)
                  > > >
                  > > > P.S-2 Robin Bhai... I will get back to your post in good time
                  > > had
                  > > > forwarded it to my office account to reply but did not get a
                  > > second
                  > > > yesterday and don't think I'll get one today either. But I

                  Service.
                • shalini_razdan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
                    <skalra0902@y...> wrote:

                    > While I can't agree with the S.D. Burman part,

                    I second that. I mean clearly, Roshan is the best. :-)

                    >I do about L-P, but I won't go so far as to use the word "stink".
                    >They do have some good, really good, numbers to their credit,
                    >esp./mostly in their early career. :-)

                    Agree with this as well. I recently re-discovered "o ghata sanwari"
                    and am pleasantly surprised at how refreshing and evocative the
                    composition sounds.

                    Shalini

                    > Satish Kalra
                    >

                    > hfm_zindabaad <hfm_zindabaad@y...> wrote:
                    > Can't really make out from the mail if Priya is quitting, but if
                    so,
                    > a big thanks to you, Priya. You've done a tremendous job at
                    > moderating SKS.
                    >
                    > Ritu will make an excellent moderator, if she is really going to
                    > take up this tough task. Ritu, you and I get into some furious
                    > points of contention, but all kidding aside, you really are a
                    > balanced and knowledgable HFM expert. Even if I sometimes disagree
                    > with your viewpoints violently, it is a treat to read your posts.
                    >
                    > So, from today -
                    >
                    > S. D. Burman is the best
                    > S. D. Burman is the best
                    > S. D. Burman is the best
                    > S. D. Burman is the best
                    > S. D. Burman is the best
                    >
                    > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                    > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                    > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                    > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                    > Laxmikant-Pyarelal stink
                    >

                    > Cheers!
                    >

                    > Robin

                  • SRIJIT MUKHERJI
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 7, 2005

                      Dear Satishji and Robin-bhai,
                                              Indeed Chameli was a rocking album...Sunidhi Chauhan sang in almost four different voices for four excellent numbers..the Jazzy (Thaki thaki si shaam), the Folkish (Main saat samundar), Bollywood Pop-gharana(Bhaage re mann kahin) and Western ballad mode (Bheegi hui koi). Also, it has a brilliant Udit version of Bheegi hui koi...Sandesh Sandilya comes up with a winner and justifies his sparks shown in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Pyar Ke Geet and Piya Basanti...

                      Srijit.