Re: [sangeet_ke_sitare] Re: Asha v/s Geeta - A simple Litmus test

  • priya
    Message 1 of 238 , Jan 5, 2004
      >(Actually classical singers have asexual
      voices.. male, female all the same :D)

      LOL!!!!! Does that include the amateur ones too? :P

      >But amongst the female singers Lata is the only singer
      who can hold
      my attention for a sustained period of time. She is the only singer
      who has atleast 7-8 CDs of just her in my collection. I think the
      main reason is that
      she got the cream of all the composers compositions. So listening to
      Lata is like listening the best of HFM!

      Certainly she does represent the cream of HFM but I am always drawn to the voice first. Then the composition. Of course there are songs of the singers I like which I would listen to only for history's sake and nothing more.

      >When it comes to other singers Asha and Geeta attract me more
      with
      their 'rare-gems' kind of collections. Their normal 'Mera naam chin
      chin choo' and 'chain se humko kabhi' are very cliched. They are good
      only for a change.

      I never cared for chain se humko kabhi as a kid. It is only recently that I grew to love the song.

      >With Geeta,
      the truth is that she does not have that much significant
      output. But if one digs into her earlier output or lesser known stuff
      later one comes up with winners.
      One Geeta no always on repeat mode maybe at least 10 times is khayalon mein kisike. I just love the song.

      >I guess this is more personality
      dependent than anything else. I
      wouldn't think it's a litmus test.

      Certainly. Which is why I always jump at Robinbhai's cash register. I mean what has that to do with what we are drawn to. (that btw is a bait for U to rejoin Robinbhai. :)))

      >Very intersting!! Perceptions always are. It's fun to read what
      images and feelings different singers conjure up. For instance I can
      never think of Kishore as knight in shining armour. He always reminds
      me of your best childhood friend who you would slap on the back,
      fight with, have fun with and confide in. Not romance material !

      Ya if U take his fun songs yes. No knight in shining armour there. But even there I tend to look upto him as there is something so unpredictable and exciting about his singing. Actually phir wohi raat hai was the song that clinched KK as the voice of romance for me. When I watched Ghar and heard this song playing it created such a multitude of emotions in me that that was going to be the way I viwed KK evermore. There was something strong and reassuring, yet gentle and understanding--so much in that song and his voice so strong and yet able to make one feel a certain tenderness. Hard to explain. Then there was phoolon ke rang se--until sorry Ritu-- I saw it picturised. The evergreen romantic song did not sit well on evergreen dadaji. :((((
      It is just the voice--something enigmatic and elusive i find about it that conjures the air of romance.
      To be honest I like his later songs--in fact most songs barring the ones picturised on him as audio only. I was never a fan of Rajesh Khanna or angry Amitabh or any of the fat heroes in their 40s on whom his later songs were picturised. When I see them the picture changes. :((

      >Rafi is the same as you think. I always feel Hemant Kumar's
      voice had
      that Mills and Boon hero feel to it. But he could be very insipid at
      other times.

      Yes Hemant is the quintessential voice of romance but there is also that something of the hermit in the mandir that gives a diffrent feel. What is it with Bongs and combining sensuality and spirituality? ;))

      >I have never connected to Mukesh's voice. He reminds me of
      my father.
      A singer for another generation. But now on a totally unemotional
      basis I enjoy his songs and voice. I like his sad songs as a
      background emotion.

      Same here.

      >Talat ofcourse puts me
      to sleep at most times. But when he's good he
      can be very alluring.

      I like pyaar par bas to nahi. Cho cute. Each time I hear it as a refrain I hear eh kya bolti tu and think I am in the wrong generation. Today eveen if wooed with a song it is bound to be like that. What a dismal prospect. :((( Love jalte hain jiske liye too and a no of the sadder songs. Like Samik said he conjures up the eternal cultured soft spoken gentleman. Maybe that is why his osngs have such an old-world feel to them even for someone listeing to them from childhood. Because Rafi and KK and others all have their taporiish and other kind of songs. Talatsaab somehow symbolises a beautiful bygone era. In voice, diction, style. So many things.

      >Manna Dey does not even remind me of my father... he reminds
      me of
      the uncle next door :)!!!

      Ya --I am sure i am being very mean but Rafi and manna remind me of Browning's Andrea-del Sarto. Where the artist compares himself to Rapheal. He looks at the master's work and says something to the effect of  the arm is crooked. I could rectify it. But where is the soul? It is not Raphael. Manna had everything and yet something was missing.

    • Satish Kalra
      Message 238 of 238 , Jan 17, 2004
        LOL.   {Just read this post of yours, Ritu.}

        Satish (Uncle).

        ritusks <ritusks@...> wrote:

        Manna Dey does not even remind me of my father... he reminds me of
        the uncle next door :)!!!

        :))))))

        Cheers
        Ritu