2454RE: [sherlock holmes society of india] - Meeting Once

  • arun.pkumar@wipro.com
    Mar 12, 2008
      I too agree with this idea. Here is how I see this being organized:

      First we need to identify the place where the members can meet. Since it
      involves a lot of preparations, I would suggest a place from where there
      are quite a few active members. For that, we need to know the city where
      the maximum numbers of people are active. I went through the contacts
      list and it lists only 10 names. The location of other members is not
      known. Since I saw 3 names from Bangalore and since the Bangalore
      members already attempted to meet once, I would suggest Bangalore to be
      the base for the first official meet of the Sherlockian society and I'm
      taking Bangalore as the example in the next paragraph.

      How to go about it: Few members - say 3 or 4 of them from Bangalore meet
      one fine day and discuss as to how they can go about arranging the mega
      event. First on the agenda would be the date - preferably 3 months down
      the line(on a Saturday or a Sunday) so that anybody who is interested in
      attending the event can block the date and prepare themselves by
      undertaking the necessary reservations. Then, the location (along with
      the logistics) where the meeting is gone be held needs to be decided.
      Next item would be to come up with a schedule that would be followed on
      the d-day (which can be collected on the group as well) - as to how we
      are gone spend the day (or half day) when the members from different
      parts of the country converge. Next on the agenda to discuss would be to
      come up with plans for arranging food & beverages for the day. Once
      these details have been finalized, the date for the event will be
      announced to the group and all the members will be asked to send a
      confirmation mail within a stipulated date to one of the Bangalore gang
      members. Based on the number of confirmation mails received, the
      Bangalore gang will arrive at an estimation to cover the cost of the
      location & other arrangements [the detailed plan as stated above can be
      carried out at this stage as well]. Again, a mail will be sent to the
      group members asking them to transfer the stipulated amount to 2 or 3
      bank accounts of the members in Bangalore. This needs to be done if the
      number of entries received turns out to be large and also to make sure
      that we don't have a convoluted figure to deal with in the event of the
      members just sending a confirmation mail & then not turning up. If it's
      a very small number, the amount can be collected at the venue. Also,
      based on the requirements, lodging facilities can be arranged to the
      outstation members. A final Invitation mail is sent to all the members
      who have confirmed their participation.

      I'm from Bangalore and if the group really wants to meet, I will
      definitely be a part of the team of 4 which will have to handle the
      arrangements. This seems a laborious way though. Other ideas &
      suggestions as to how we can carry this out are most welcome.

      /Arun.