2582Re: [sherlock holmes society of india] Sir Doyle and Sherlock Holmes Films

  • riju ganguly
    Sep 7, 2008
      Dear Friends,

      In response to this query I can only state that Sir Doyle had genuinely liked the play "Sherlock Holmes" by William Gillette, that had taken several liberties (including getting Sherlock Holmes married!) in its production. Although he had criticised the intorduction of some of the modern gadgets like telephone in the gaslit world of Holmes (as displayed in few other plays based on Sherlock Holmes), I don't think he would be shocked or aghast if Guy Ritchie proves to be an even greater libertine, esp. since Sir Doyle didn't have any particular fascination for Sherlock Holmes.

      With best wishes,

      Riju