3367Re: Sherlock and Rationality in Mordern Times

  • sajan venniyoor
    Feb 11, 2012
      In *A Study in Scarlet*, Watson says of Holmes, "His ignorance was as
      remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and
      politics he appeared to know next to nothing. Upon my quoting Thomas
      Carlyle, he inquired in the naivest way who he might be and what he had
      done. My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that
      he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the
      Solar System. That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century
      should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be
      to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it."

      Holmes may have been a high-functioning sociopath, but he was a sociopath
      nonetheless. Like an idiot savant, he had extraordinary skills within a
      severely limited range. His rationality is that of Douglas Adams'
      supercomputer, *Deep Thought, *whose ultimate answer to the ultimate
      question of life is the number 42.

      What price rationality, I wonder.

      Sajan