      From: KUMAR BHATIA <kumarbhatiashsi@...>
      Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:36:04
      To: <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
      Subject: SHSI Friendship Day

      A STUDY IN FRIENDSHIP

      The United Nations has declared 30th July of every year as ,
      “ International Friendship Day “, but in some countries and communities it
      is celebrated on the first Sunday of August ( this year it falls on the 4th
      of August )

      My humble tribute to the Mother of all Friendships ,the one between
      Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

      As the Canon relates , these two Victorian gentlemen , utterly different
      in personality and personal habits are thrown together by coincidence and
      circumstance , and become room-mates at , what is now one of the most
      famous addresses in the world 221 B, Baker Street .

      The saga of their eternal friendship , resonates, even today,
      in the hundreds of books ,articles , essays , debates and analysis ,
      And in the Canon itself , needless to say, which is not just a collection
      of stories about a detective and his biographer friend , but tales of
      Mystery , adventure , brilliant sleuthing , bravado and above all
      Friendship .

      An incident from “The Adventure of the Three Garridebs “,a murderous
      attack on Watson , is a fine example of the chemistry between the two
      friends .

      *“You are not hurt Watson “* said Sherlock Holmes
      *.“ For God’s sake, Say that you are not hurt ! “
      *
      Watson is touched by the concern shown by Holmes
      In appreciation of which , he tells his readers ;
      *“It was worth a wound -- it was worth many wounds -- to know the depth of
      loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were
      dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only
      time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All
      my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of
      revelation “
      *Watson – The Three Garridebs

      The friendship between the two men prevails throughout the Canon , evident
      from the many remarkable statements
      that they made about ,or to, each other :
      Some complimentary, Some critical and Some even sharper !
      But the underlying camaraderie prevails and comes through ever so
      sincerely .

      It is indeed a difficult task to choose , but I will try .

      I quote from the Canon , which says it best :

      *“You have a grand gift for silence Watson , It makes you an invaluable
      companion .”
      *Holmes - The Man with the Twisted Lip

      *“I have not lived for years with Sherlock Holmes for nothing.”
      *
      Watson – The Hound of the Baskervilles

      *“ but it is that Watson has some remarkable characteristics of his own ...
      which is his modesty"
      *Holmes -The Blanched Soldier

      *'I know my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
      outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life.'
      *Holmes -The Red-Headed League

      * “ It is really good of you to come Watson , It makes a considerable
      difference to me
      having someone with me on whom I can thoroughly rely “

      *Holmes - The Boscombe Valley Mystery

      *“ I have so deep a respect for the extraordinary qualities of Holmes that
      I have always
      deferred to his wishes , even when I least understood them “
      *Watson – The Adventure of the Dying Detective

      *“ I am lost without my Boswell “
      *Holmes – A Scandal in Bohemia

      *“ Cut out the poetry ,Watson “
      *Holmes – The Retired Colourman

      *“ The fellow may be very clever , “I said to myself “ but he is certainly
      very conceited”
      *Watson - A Study in Scarlet

      *“ It may be that you are not yourself luminious , but you are a conductor
      of light
      Some people without possessing genius , have a remarkable power of
      stimulating it “
      *Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles

      To quote two of my favourites , their ultimate tribute to each other ;

      *“ Good old Watson ! You are the one fixed point in a changing age ! “
      * Sherlock Holmes – “His Last Bow.”

      *“ The best and the wisest man whom I have ever known “
      *Watson - " The Final Problem

      Members who do not find their favourite quotes mentioned here , please
      write in .

      Wishing all Sherlockians on this "Friendship Day" and do let your friend
      (s) know how much you care

      Kumar Bhatia