4386Re: SHSI Sherlock S3E1

    3 Jan 11:59 pm
      [Spoiler alert - DO NOT READ if you haven't seen "The Empty Hearse" - and for those who haven't seen it yet (or want to see it again) - AXN India, Sunday (5 January) 12 PM - repeat telecast - of course, elsewhere in the world people will be watching "The Sign of Three"...]

      Oh, well - I loved it, too! I thought it was very, very clever that they gave out the possibilities of multiple explanations (13 ways, as Sherlock says) - and ended with a "You know my methods." - for everyone to work out their own solutions - after all, nothing is quite as good as the one in your head, eh? "Everyone's a critic." Anderson pretty much personifies the Sherlock fandom these days...I felt it was a nice touch - the recognition given to a manic but doggedly loyal fandom.

      Loved the altercations between Sherlock and Mycroft - did you note that Sherlock's parents are actually Benedict Cumberbatch's parents? I am quite taken with the idea that Mycroft and Sherlock have perfectly normal, ordinary, adorable parents - I suppose it was a risk (given the popularity of the Holmes brothers' dark past theories) - and I think it worked out quite well. Genius doesn't necessarily mandate a shadowy origin.

      I don't think Sherlock is cruel - I just think he doesn't always understand the emotional aspect of things ("bit not good"). That and his "flair for the dramatic" - it got a bit too much for John. The way I see it - they could have done a supremely emotional drama scene (hysterics and all, which would have ended with John punching him anyway) or they could have done it with a bit of humour - which they did, not letting go of the dramatics, either - and it came off brilliantly. Sherlock has missed John ("What life? I've been away.") - and when the reunion doesn't go as planned (he probably thought that John would be shocked, amazed, say "fantastic" and they'll get on like before - maybe a bit of swearing/punching would be involved - after all, John did forgive every other outrageous thing he'd done in the past) - he misses him all the more (keeps hearing his comments - remember the skeleton mystery investigation scene?) - and then John gets into trouble, and Sherlock immediately rushes to the rescue. Did you note that Mary hung back while Sherlock unflinchingly jumped into the bonfire to drag John out?

      The tube-bomb-scene deception - Sherlock is human, after all - he just wanted to know whether John still cares. We do try and get a rise out of people we love at times, don't we? Sometimes we need to hear the "I care" so desperately that we'd resort to dramatics and force out a "Yes, damn you, you lunatic, I care!" instead. Sherlock's been away for two years (which haven't been easy on him - and not just because of the Serbians), London has become unfamiliar ("I need to get to know London again; breathe it in, every quiver of its beating heart."), his own self has become unfamiliar - he hasn't been Sherlock Holmes for two years now. So once he is back in London, he wants his coat, his home and his "one fixed point in a changing age" - his doctor. And when John doesn't come back, he feels lost, vulnerable - he's not had "friends" before; doesn't really know what to do with them - his brother's useless in this regard ("How would you know?"); Molly is lovely, but not quite John; Mrs Hudson keeps saying "Talk to John" - Lestrade keeps asking where John is - everyone has become used to "Sherlock and John", including Sherlock, and it isn't quite right to have one without the other. As John says in his blog - #sherlocklives means #johnwatsonlives. (Aww...)

      And Sherlock Holmes has always been melodramatic - even in the canon! It is part of why we love him, isn't it?

      Oh yes, the old bookseller play on The Empty House - that was hilarious!

      On the side - the Chinese fandom calls them "Curly Fu" and "Peanut"!

      Before I get any more Anderson-ish, I'll sign off! :)

      Cheers and best wishes for the Year of Sherlock,

      General Secretary & Editor
      Sherlock Holmes Society of India

      Sorry, of course I meant scene, not seen! It was 7:30 am and I am fumbling on my iPad when I wrote that, brain not firing on all 4 cylinders and must have slipped into phonetic mode! ; ) please excuse.

      From: Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...>;