4412Re: SHSI SH3E3

    13 Jan 10:44 am
      I'd like to think we are a broad-minded group and love Sherlock Holmes in his various avatars as well! If we just stuck to the canon, we'd run out of things to talk about very soon, won't we? Sherlock Holmes has been paid homage to by various people in various forms, and has taken on various avatars over the years - and I do count pastiches in this as well, not just cinematographic adaptations. We may choose to like some of the avatars and dislike the rest - but I don't think that should preclude us from discussing these avatars. We would end up turning our backs to an entire world of Sherlockian/Holmesian literature otherwise.

      It is, after all, the fandom that keeps Sherlock Holmes alive. Besides, my long-term belief that Sherlockians/Holmesians are the best kind of people has just been solidly reaffirmed in the past few days.

      Besides, Sherlock Holmes was a great pioneer of making full use of modernity! Gramophones, wax busts et al.

      Also, BBC Sherlock is the top factor for the current popularity of Sherlock Holmes! I personally think this adaptation is brilliant and runs quite true to the original (and very clever in the ample canonical references/acknowledgements) - it would, I guess, given Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are dedicated Sherlockians themselves. Additionally, they pay homage to great Sherlockians/Holmesians as well.

      Learnt a bit of history recently, and confirmed straight from the top horses' mouth this Saturday at the SHSL Annual Dinner - the idea for BBC Sherlock pre-dates Robert Downey Jr/Guy Ritchie. In 2006, Mark Gatiss (an SHSL member) brought along Steven Moffat to the Annual Dinner, and the concept of a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes was presented to the members. It was received well, and they went on to produce the pilot and later re-made it into what we know as "A Study in Pink". In 2012, they made another keynote address. I'll scan the full list and circulate once I'm back home; it is amazing how they've had Agatha Christie, PD James and various luminaries of the detective world there.

      But we should wait to discuss "His Last Vow" further until Friday when everyone gets to see it!

      Signing off before I get any crazier,

      General Secretary & Editor
      Sherlock Holmes Society of India

      On Monday, January 13, 2014 6:19 PM, Rajit Roy <roy_rajit@...> wrote:

      Why can't we make this group to discuss more of original literature than these momentous contemporary adaptations? Wouldn't that be a true homage to Sherlock Holmes and its creator and the whole universe of the genius we all love to talk about ? Please reply.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic