      From: Jay Ganguly <ruling_jay@...>
      To: "SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@..." <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 18:59
      Subject: Re: SHSI SH3E3

      Erm...may be she got it a bit mixed up with some other role played by Benedict Cumberbatch? "Sexy geek" - agreed. But when on earth did the rest happen?? Not to my knowledge.

      But really, just because Benedict Cumberbatch is an international phenomenon right now - it doesn't take away the fact that he is the perfect modern Sherlock and plays the role beautifully. I'd even say that he is the best Sherlock of all time - but that's my personal opinion; I'm aware many others considered Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone the best.

      What was interesting, though, that several "biggies" of the Sherlockian/Holmesian world I recently met - also consider Benedict Cumberbatch to be the best Sherlock Holmes manifestation. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

      So yes, Benedict Cumberbatch gathers fangirls all over the world and may be some part of his fangirling crowd have no clue about Sherlock Holmes - but there is a rather large intersection of true Sherlockians who adore Benedict Cumberbatch and his Sherlock - and these are not always young women, but people of all ages.

      Jayantika Ganguly
      General Secretary & Editor
      Sherlock Holmes Society of India

      On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:26 PM, Rajit Roy <roy_rajit@...> wrote:

      I remember asking a girl if she knew who Sherlock Holmes was. " Yeah, that sexy geek guy who kisses a crazy girl and finds himself naked in bed." , she replied.
      Cheers!

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic